Motor for j80

posting disabled

Moderator: forumadmin

Postby Guest » Tue Apr 13, 2004 8:02 am

Terry,
I agree completely. A boat with an owner-installed mount, though, should receive the same treatment.

Postby Guest » Sat Apr 17, 2004 9:06 am

This thread has evolved into a rules discussion. I have a Yamaha 4HP 4-stroke, have owned my J/80 for 3 years. It’s plenty of engine. It’s slow upwind in heavy conditions and I’ve had to “tackâ€

Postby Guest » Sat Apr 17, 2004 1:12 pm

I use a 5 hp, 3.5 definitely wasn't enough against the tide when coming back up the river, and no sails allowed under the bridges. 4 hp might have been enough, but it was the same weight, so I went with the 5 and am glad I did. Still have the wave problem, though.

Postby Guest » Mon Apr 19, 2004 2:52 pm

I had a Hall motor mount on my boat when I bought it two years ago. I decided to switch it out to a Fulton adjustable mount I bought from the local West Marine that was clearing them out for $30. It added 4 more pound to the back of the boat, but I love it.

For much of my local sailing, I don't always want to remove the motor off the transom. With the Hall unit, If I tilted the motor back, it would drag in the water. It drove me nuts! With the adjustable mount, my motor raises much higher making it easier to remove the motor. If I choice to leave it on the stern, it is high and dry. Furthermore, in the down position, the motor mount is 6 inches closer to the water and motor works better in chop.
Terry
PS: If someone is looking for a Hall motor bracket, I will sell mine for cheap.

Postby Guest » Thu Apr 22, 2004 8:57 am

thanks for all the posts everybody - i ended up with a tohatsu 4ph 4 stroke. i will try this for a year and see if it meets my needs. if it ends up being too heavy i may have to go to a 2 stroke...

Previous

Return to Archived Maintenance Topics