Bilge Pump required by insurance company

posting disabled

Moderator: forumadmin

Postby Guest » Fri Apr 09, 2004 1:31 pm

I have agreed to purchase hull #174. My insurance company, USAA, required a survey. The surveyor recommended an automatic bilge pump, which my insuror insists on me agreeing to install. Does anyone have any recommendations on automatic bilge pumps for the J-80?
Thanks

Postby Guest » Mon Apr 12, 2004 9:47 pm

When I purchased #64 last fall, I looked at USAA, but opted to go with BOAT US. I found the service better, and the price cheaper. Shop around unless you are committed to USAA.

Postby Guest » Fri Apr 16, 2004 7:06 am

i just insured with allstate, you must have an existing policy, but their rates were about 1/3 of my local boat ins broker for superior coverage.

Postby Guest » Wed May 19, 2004 3:15 pm

I've tried every small electric bilge pump that myself, West Marine, Defender, Boater's World, and Boat US could find. None will fit all the way down in the keel trunk with the hose attached. I am sure you could rig a positive displacement pump to work with a pickup hose but then you are talking about a lot of hardware and weight. I just gave up and use my handy hand pump. If it's really an issue to the insurance company, you might explain that the sealed compartments fore and aft will keep it afloat in most cases. Automatic bilge pumps are mostly important when you have water intakes below the waterline for engines, toilets, watermakers, etc., then the bilge pump is supposed to keep up with the inflow when one of the seacock hoses comes off. We have none on the J/80. They really shouldn't make an issue of it.

Postby Guest » Wed May 19, 2004 3:16 pm

P.S.- No survey required from Boat U.S. on my J/80

Postby Guest » Wed May 19, 2004 11:32 pm

RULE makes an automatic bilge pump in their Platinum Series (#500) that fits nicely into the center compartment of the keel sump. Available at Boat US, it is cylindrical with a side-mounted hose fitting and electronic cycling that detects water sufficient to pump. I have used this model on Hammertime since 1997 without significant problems.

Postby Guest » Thu May 27, 2004 3:22 pm

After the last post I went and bought a Rule platinum 500 to try. It doesn't fit, gets close. If I raise it about 5" off the bottom it will fit, or grind away 1" or so around the trunk for clearance. Not sure I'm going to do either... back to the hand pump again.

Postby Guest » Fri May 28, 2004 2:06 pm

Interesting that it doesn't fit and apologies for steering you in the wrong direction. There are obviously some differences in the dimensions of the keel sump between older and newer boats. Is yours a US or French-built boat? I'll check out some of the newer boats in our fleet to see what the story is.

Return to Archived Maintenance Topics