Main halyard slipped off from mast

posting disabled

Moderator: forumadmin

Postby Guest » Mon Jul 12, 2004 12:32 pm

For some unknown reason I've found my boat at the marina with the main halyard completely slipped off and laying on the cockpit...
Apart from investigating who is responsible for this regrettable trick, is there anyone who has any idea on how to recover the situation...without having to take down the mast possibly.

Thanks in advance
Massimo Polo
Italy

Postby Guest » Mon Jul 12, 2004 3:55 pm

With the boat trimmed aft, hoist someone with long arms on the spin halyard and have them feed the tail of the halyard back down the mast with a bicycle chain attached. When it appears at the exit, fish it out with a bent coathanger or similar device. If the mast is not raked a bit, there is a risk the halyard will end up forward of the spreader bar rather than aft. Good luck!

Postby Guest » Mon Jul 12, 2004 5:07 pm

Another approach is to send a messenger line down first. Basically the same procedure but use 100' length of 1/8" nylon line instead of the halyard. A much smaller weight can be used and once the messenger is down the mast the person at the top is finished. Attach the messenger to the halyard (I use a length of duct tape - about 4-5 inches the long way so it covers a couple of inches of the halyard and messenger. Put a couple of small knots in the end of the messenger first so it won't slip out. Feed the halyard into the slot on the mast and pull it through gently with the messenger.
Aside from the reduced work at the masthead, the messenger will drop easier and be less likely to wrap around other halyards.

Postby Guest » Wed Jul 14, 2004 12:45 pm

Thanks guys for your tips !
I'll try soon this weekend

cheers
massimo

Postby Guest » Thu Jul 15, 2004 12:48 am

Put your mother in law on the transom. That should put enough rake in the mast to keep the halyard behind the spreader bar.....

Postby Guest » Fri Jul 16, 2004 3:31 pm

Rather than use a coat hanger to get the line at the opening, try using medium test fishing line, make a loop, and insert the entire loop before you drop the messenger line. Then just pull on both ends of the loop to close it, and pull the messenger through the opening. Saves a lot of time "fishing around".

Return to Archived Maintenance Topics