New Tiller

posting disabled

Moderator: forumadmin

Postby Guest » Thu Aug 25, 2005 1:35 pm

Friends of mine here in Annapolis just bought Hull #146 and after it arrived we discovered it had a broken tiller. We have had no luck in finding a place to buy a new tiller (except for custom & expensive). Anyone have any suggestions?

Postby Guest » Thu Aug 25, 2005 3:54 pm

Try layline, it's the same one as J22 tiller I think

Postby Guest » Thu Aug 25, 2005 7:24 pm

Postby Guest » Fri Aug 26, 2005 4:52 pm

West Marine stocks them, same as the J24. Looks like good quality but haven't used one myself.

Postby Guest » Fri Aug 26, 2005 10:52 pm

Be careful trying to replace the J/80 tiller with a standard J/22 or J/24 tiller. Here are the approximate lengths for each:
J/22 43"
J/24 48"
J/80 62"
APS used to stock replacements for the J/80; however, they no longer do. They will order one from their supplier, but delivery time is estimated at 30 to 40 days and ballpark price quoted is $100. Karl's Boat Shop will also make a custom tiller, but prepare to pay a high premium for it. The best bet to find one in the US without going custom is to contact customer service at Person Composites(Formerly TPI) 401-247-1050. I'm not sure if they keep any in stock, and they were closed today for their company BBQ.

Postby Guest » Sat Aug 27, 2005 9:01 pm

Don't know what broke on your tiller, but I have seen several tillers (mine included) that rotted out where the attachment bolts pass through. The dark laminations on a stock tiller are very prone to rot, and the bolt hole allows moisture in to get it going. I have repaired one by cutting out the rotten laminations to good wood and fitting in fresh pieces with epoxy. When I put in the new holes I drill them oversize and epoxy in nylon bushings to preclude more rot. A good tiller cover that extend over the rudder will go a long way to prevent the problem.

Postby Guest » Wed Nov 23, 2005 11:05 am

As I was removing my tiller this Fall, I noticed this source stamped in the wood: Marine Woodwork 213-636-1718. Tiller is from the mid 1990's.

Return to Archived Maintenance Topics