Factory Correction of reported J80 Problems??

posting disabled

Moderator: forumadmin

Postby Guest » Wed Feb 14, 2001 9:58 pm

I have been sensitive to the reports of J80 owners who experience maintenance problems resulting from design or construction oversights - ie rudder leakage, water invasion through the sprit, etc. Is J Boats listening and, hopefully, taking corrective action on such problems as they occur?? My Hull #382 is, if on schedule, about completed. I therefore hope that J Boats will take prompt action to remedy deficiencies that show up in usage by J80 sailors, and that my boat will benefit as well as others.

Postby Guest » Fri Feb 16, 2001 4:00 pm

Ralph,

Ghost Dancing is hull #290. It was built last winter. I had a problem with the gudgeon bolts coming loose. On my boat, you couldn't get to them. I had to put an access plate in the cockpit just in front of the rudder. When I identified the problem I called TPI customer service. (If I remember correctly, the guy's name was also Steve) Anyway he's the one who told me to install the access plate and TPI reimbursed the cost.

Finally I come to the point. Steve said that he would talk to engineering because he also felt that I should have been able to get to those nuts without a hole saw. I have been told the new boats have a factory installed acess plate. My point: TPI listens to us. The will help solve your problems and they will solve them for future boats. Don't be afraid to call customer service. Also, Jeff, Jim and Al Johnstone all visit this forum. I'm certain they quickly pick up anything that will make their product better!

Steve

Postby Guest » Thu Mar 01, 2001 6:14 pm

Ralph,
Thanks for your message and the response it generated from Steve Strout. My hull is #383 and should arrive in San Diego by 3/12. I will definitely check to see if Steve's advice to TPI has been followed.

Postby Guest » Sat Apr 07, 2001 8:02 pm

Re factory back up & corrective action. A boat sales yard, near Portland Me., has #354 (new) on display w/trailer, etc. (FINALLY, we have a J80 to view in Maine!) The transom on this boat had, I believe, a factory installed, and integrated, fairly heavy plastic reinforcement for locating & attaching the aux motor. The problem of damaging the transom by clamping the motor in that area may now be solved. I pick up my #382 in two weeks and hope I can expect the benefit of this improvement. Thanks, J Boats!

Postby Guest » Sat Apr 07, 2001 10:43 pm

I recently took delivery of hull #364 and was disappointed to find that the gudgeon bolt access plate described by Steve has not been installed in my boat.

Postby Guest » Sun Apr 08, 2001 3:38 pm

To answer the question, TPI has NOT changed the construction to include an access plate for the transom gudgeon. If there's enough interest from members, I can make a formal request to J/Boats and TPI for corrections.

Postby Guest » Tue Apr 10, 2001 1:51 pm

Re my 4/7 message concerning the reinforced transom mount for an aux motor. I am embarassed to find that apparently this has been an installation for some time-I thought it was a new design to prevent possible transom damage. Please forgive my misunderstanding.

Return to Archived Maintenance Topics