Windward sheeting traveler car

posting disabled

Moderator: forumadmin

Postby Guest » Sun Feb 25, 2001 9:07 pm

Had one on my last boat, thought it was the cat's meow. Anyone put one on a J/80? If so, which is the right size, small or medium?

Postby Guest » Mon Feb 26, 2001 11:57 am

I have one that came with my (used) boat. It is the small size. Make sure you rinse it well after use if you sail in salt water!

Postby Guest » Mon Feb 26, 2001 12:16 pm

What exactly are you talking about ? I am not familiar with the hardware you are discussing.

Postby Guest » Mon Feb 26, 2001 1:51 pm

Look at item C on page 30 of your Layline catalog or check out Harken's web site.

Postby Guest » Tue Feb 27, 2001 5:26 pm

I like the WSTCar because after roll tacking you can pull the traveler to weather and the skipper can stay low till you get some speed up.

Jay Lutz

Postby Guest » Tue Feb 27, 2001 5:30 pm

I looked at the layline catalogue, but still cannot
ascertain what the hardware does that is different from original configuration

Postby Guest » Wed Feb 28, 2001 9:40 am

It is hard to explain unless you have actually used one, but the WS car allows you to pull the car to weather without having to release the control line on the old windward side. There is a plate which connects the two cam cleats on the car and causes the "old" cleat to release when the "new" cleat is engaged. It saves you having to "drop" the traveler prior to tacking or having to return to the low side to release it after tacking.

Postby Guest » Thu Mar 01, 2001 10:28 pm

I used such a system for 2 years. Was good to begin with. Now I removed it and installed what I believe is a simple faster and more bullet proof system in different wind conditions.

I found the windward sheeting system worked well in heavy air, but in light air it was a pain in the neck. Did not have enough pressure to unleat the old side.

My new system is the normal factory lay out and I replace the two harken cam cleats for the traveller line with Spinnlock x powercleat mini clutches on a CONTINUES rope. Make sure the rope has enough slack so nobody trips over or accentially unclets the clutch.

The continues sheet allows you to operate the clutch on you sitting side AND the opposite side without moving you weight.

Because they ar clutches they can be operate in the close mode. Provided you insist that the clutches are closed at all times (expect when you want to lower the traveler) you have a safe , simple, cost effective system which offers you the same benefits like a windward sheeting car, however it will work in all conditions from very light to very heavy.
A added benefit is that the clutches do not lock up under heavy loads and are always easy to operate.
Works very well for me.

PS: If you at the worlds I will bring the used harken system for a carton of beer.

Return to Archived Maintenance Topics