Archive through January 03, 2006

Racing Tools & Techniques

Moderator: forumadmin

Postby Guest » Thu Dec 15, 2005 11:31 am

Im thiking about buying a j80 to sail in the chicago-mackicac single handed race. the race is 333 miles long, and can cover the whole spectrum of conditions. from light and variable to big wind and waves. My thought is the j80 is affordable, easy to manage, and i could push the boat. Any and all info and thoughts would be much appreciated. the fleet consists of 1 j105, slower phrf boats and a multihull section that rate around zero phrf give or take. Could this boat, if sailed right, win?

Postby Guest » Thu Dec 15, 2005 11:47 am

The J-80 is a solid boat, easy to handle and great fun down hill. The weak point you will have against others is big waves on the bow. However off wind the J105 will not have much on you!! Good luck and pray for anything but a heavy air beat

[Posted by: Bill
]

Postby Guest » Mon Dec 19, 2005 2:12 pm

Since the race tends to be a reach, I think the 80 could be a giant killer. You will get clobbered if it is on the nose, but that is just the luck of the draw. Go for it!

[Posted by: Chris Morlan
]

Postby Guest » Tue Dec 20, 2005 12:52 pm

You might want to check this out. For the single hander I think the minimum length is 30 feet. The Chi-Mac is 27ft. It would still be a blast. I single handed a J80 from Chicago up to Holland, MI., in a 15kt SEaster. That was a blast. Up hill for 3 miles sucks, I wouldn't want to go 30 miles up hill, 90% of Mac races have atleast a 30 mile beat.

[Posted by: 50 Cent
]

Postby Guest » Mon Jan 02, 2006 4:13 pm

Does the Chicago Mac 27 foot minimum effectively disqualify the J80? I assume so.
Does anyone know if there is a min. length req't for the Bayview Mac?
FYI, there is a Lake Ontario doublehanded 300 NM race in July. Start is near Toronto, where I live. Details can be found on the website www.lakeontario300.org . Min length req't is 24 feet. The website has a list of minimum safety requirements. Some may be difficult to meet on a J80 - e.g. a permanently mounted marine head and a secured galley stove.
I am thinking about doing it on my boat (hull # 267).
Any suggestions or comments?
(remove X from my e-mail address)

[Posted by: David Vincent
]

Postby Guest » Tue Jan 03, 2006 9:19 am

I think BYC also has a 27 ft limit, though perhaps shorter boats may be permitted on the "shore course".

[Posted by: Chris Morlan
]

Return to Racing Tools & Techniques