Main Sheet Jam Cleat

posting disabled

Moderator: forumadmin

Postby Guest » Thu Mar 22, 2001 6:45 pm

I want to replace the harken jam cleat for the main with a spin lock power cleat (PX812), because I find the Harken difficult to release under load. I can do it but other drivers have had difficulty. I used the spinlock on my old boat and absolutely loved it.

I had read about this "recommended" change last year in either Layline or another guide. Has anyone changed the harken cleat for the main sheet? Do you use an adaptor plate to mount the Spinlock to the harken base? Or does Spinlock make a base?

Matt.

Postby Guest » Fri Mar 23, 2001 1:20 am

Spinlock recommends using the Frederiksen base that was designed specifically for the PX Cleat. Layline sells them packaged together as the PX0812MS ( http://www.layline.com/store/prodinfo.a ... 5&mitem=20 ) Not wanting to spend the extra money and then throw away the stock Harken swivel base, I used the following solution: Fashion an adapter plate from material such as 3/8" pipe grade PVC. The stock "replacement" PXB0812 cleat designed to fit the Harken base has a footprint that will not allow use of the Spinlock PXW0812 wedge. Without the wedge, the cleat has a poor lead to the block and is angled too low making it very difficult to engage. The adapter plate allows use of the wedge with the standard PX0812 cleat and the Harken base.

Postby Guest » Fri Mar 23, 2001 7:05 pm

Matt

Changing to the Spinlocks was the first thing I did to my boat brand new right out of the box. I had used them before on on a J/30 and loved them so I put them on the mainsheet and vang (probably overkill). I found the cleat and base packages at West Marine right on the shelf.
As Steve accurately describes however, just putting the Powercleat and it's base directly on the Harken swivel base without a wedge creates a poor lead angle and effectivly negates the advantage of the Powercleat. My simplistic soloution was to get two longer bolts than those supplied in the Spinlock package and re-use the Harken wedge. I thru-bolted the Spinlock base and Harken wedge to the Harken swivel base. Time and wear will tell, as it will with any hardware modification, but it has done fine so far.

John

Postby Guest » Tue Mar 27, 2001 9:16 pm

Yes I agree the spinlock cleats are the way to go.
Because of the heavy air and the light mainsheet trimmer I installed a twin spinlock system. The spinlocks are sold as an adapter kit and fit straight over the harken stuff, and of course using the wedge is important.

Good gear. I also use it on the boom vang which we doubled up to 16:1

Regards

Bob

Postby Guest » Mon Apr 02, 2001 9:16 pm

The standard harken system is good except that the cleat is too high. I took the plastic wedge under the cleat and cut it in half with a hack saw. The mainsheet now cleats & uncleats without any trouble.

Return to Archived Maintenance Topics