Harken Roller Furling

posting disabled

Moderator: forumadmin

Postby Guest » Tue May 08, 2001 12:41 am

Just launcehed Hull #364 today! She is named Joie.

Having a problem with the roller furling drum (Harken 00AL) not being able to slide down to attach it to the headstay pin. Appears that the inside of the rivets holding the tack shackle to the drum caught up in the space on the foil where the wedge is to be placed. The instructions call for the drum to be pushed up to about 4" from the feeder. DON'T TRY TO DO THAT! If you push it up such that the rivets protrude into the notch in the foil, you could end up in my situation: can't get it attached properly and can't get it off! Harken was no help, though I was on the phone with them three times.

Anyone have any suggestions for how to fix mine?

Thanks, Mike

Postby Guest » Tue May 08, 2001 11:04 pm

Drill out the rivets. Slide foil out. Re rivet tack shackle back in place.

Postby Guest » Wed May 09, 2001 12:09 pm

That's what my dealer is suggesting. I am hesitant to do so with those rivets carrying such a load (the jib tack attaches to that shackle). Probably will have to do so anyway. Still hoping Harken replaces the drum and bottom section of foil instead.

Postby Guest » Fri May 11, 2001 10:05 pm

By the time this is read on the Forum, Mike should have received a new drum/torque tube assy and bottom foil from Harken. Many thanks to Tim at Harken RI for his rapid response to our requests for help.
We expect that the lower foil will not need to be replaced but one was included just in case.
One thing to please keep in mind is that should you choose to self-commission your J80 and run into a similar or other problem, make the first call to your dealer. We/they can frequently figure things out a bit faster than the manufacturers. In this case when we heard from Mr. Brown (after his calls to Harken/WI) we pulled a 00AL unit from another boat in the shop and within minutes figured out where the problem was. No doubt Harken has to edit the installation manual and do away with the erroneous "4 inch" paragraph on page 18. Just disregard that section and all will be fine. In the overall, I still consider Harken to be one of the premiere manufacturers in this industry.

Postby Guest » Fri May 11, 2001 10:21 pm

Thanks to the guys at Custom Offshore and Harken for their quick and effective response. Hopefully, Joie's sails will get their first taste of a breeze tomorrow afternoon.

Postby Guest » Mon May 27, 2002 8:01 am

Exact same thing happened to me on #340. Had to drill out rivets to get the torque tube to move, tack padeye rivets were stuck in the foil space where the wedge locks the foil. Fortunately Harken sent me another torque tube so I was sailing this weekend. If you have a newer J/80 with the 00AL furler, you have to watch for this problem, it can keep you off the water for a while.

Return to Archived Maintenance Topics