Bulkhead (or other) Compass

posting disabled

Moderator: forumadmin

Postby Guest » Tue Sep 11, 2001 8:17 pm

Just purchased hull #257 "Gizmo" and need a bulkhead compass. Any suggestions on what to use?

Postby Guest » Tue Sep 11, 2001 9:15 pm

I have a mast mounted TackTick RaceMaster, it's the cat's meow as far as I'm concerned. I had bulkhead mounted instruments on my last boat and I was always concerned about accidental crew damage (a foot bracing to pull a line or an elbow/hand bracing to maintain balance) and they were constantly being blocked from view from the helm by crew just trying to help sail the boat. And the TackTick instrument mounts on a secure bracket so it can be removed when not in use taking theft/vandalism out of the equation too.

Postby Guest » Wed Sep 12, 2001 9:32 am

I agree with Graig,

I had a bulkhead compass originally installed in my boat. Had very similar issues.

Now I have mast mounted Tack Tick Micro Compass.
Ideal for what I want, simple, only one read out,
and helps with knocks and lift detection.

If you believe is the KISS pinciple (keep it simple stupid) this is and ideal instrument. Only 2 buttons, developed for skiff boats such as 49er.

If you only need a compass this is ideal. (Start timer in there for free)

If you have speedo go for the simple solution.
Remember you out there for racing and the instruments are there to HELP, and not as a toy to play with.

Of course both Tick Tack Products are great, depending on you needs and application

Bob von Felten
#95 Cafe Latte

Postby Guest » Thu Sep 13, 2001 2:36 pm

Craig and Bob, thanks for the responses. This boat came with ST-60 wind, speed and depth as well as a GPS chartplotter (believe it or not). I'll keep the TackTick option in mind. What is the cost of the RaceMaster?

Postby Guest » Thu Sep 13, 2001 3:36 pm

I traded my SailComp in on a TackTick Racemaster and love it! I believe the US dealer is Layline (www.layline.com) and it retails for around $600. Worth every penny!

Postby Guest » Fri Sep 14, 2001 10:47 am

Keep the ST 60 Instruments and get a suitable tick tack. I would estimate the Micro 60 to be in the order of $ 300-350 .

The GPS chart plotter is probalby a safe bet to sell or trade in...

Have fun

Postby Guest » Fri Sep 14, 2001 11:32 am

The Tacktick products can now also be obtained in the East from Team One in Newport, RI

Postby Guest » Fri Sep 14, 2001 7:26 pm

And I forgot an important feature. It's solar powered so it's one less thing to run the battery down, important since there's nothing to charge it. And the solar works, my RaceMaste and SpeedMaster have worked all season without any effort to recharge them, they pretty much take care of themselves.

Return to Archived Maintenance Topics