Vessel Documentation

posting disabled

Moderator: forumadmin

Postby Guest » Wed Sep 26, 2001 10:05 pm

Has anyone succeeded in getting the USCG to document a J80 in spite of the "5 ton Rule"? If so, please let me know how you did it, i.e. the measurements you used.

Dr. Rob

Postby Guest » Thu Sep 27, 2001 8:30 am

I do not think a J80 is large enough to be a documented vessel.

Postby Guest » Thu Sep 27, 2001 11:40 am

Rob-

If I remember right the J80 just makes the cut to be documented. My old 33' boat was documented and I intended to do the same with the 80. I also remember that the tonnage statements were a little confusing but it seems like the length cutoff is 26'.

You can go to the Coast Guard web site and find all the forms. I also called and talked with someone that seemed to be knowledgeable. In the end I elected to register the boat with TP&L and not document it.

Postby Guest » Fri Sep 28, 2001 7:49 am

Rob:

In order to buy my J/80 the bank wanted the loan to be a preferred mortgage which the bank will give you if the boat can be documented. I gave all the boat dimensions to a dealer representative and they registered the boat for me. I will e-mail you the dimensions they used when I get my hands on the certificate this weekend since it's on the boat.

Regards,

Tony Marí
PUR-70

Postby Guest » Fri Sep 28, 2001 5:17 pm

I chose not to go the more expensive USCG documentation route and went with local documentation instead and used Essex Credit for the loan. I don't believe there was any loan impact either way, just the documentation fees.

Postby Guest » Fri Oct 19, 2001 9:55 pm

My J80 is documented.

By doing this, per our state DNR, we then don't have to title the boat in the state since the USCG docs are essentially a federal title.

This means we also did not have to do the sales tax thing when we would have had to title otherwise.

Then, too, per our state, you don't have to register the boat in the state with the $75 fee. Once you pay your uscg docs you are done!

Apparently this also gives you some rights too for boarding by law enforcement agencies for inspections (so I have heard) but thats not a problem for us.

Return to Archived Maintenance Topics