MOTOR MOUNT

posting disabled

Moderator: forumadmin

Postby Guest » Wed Jan 30, 2002 9:57 am

I use the "standard" motor placement directly on the transom, and have added a thin stainless plate to minimize crushing of the structure. I find that I must tighten the mounting bolts very tightly to prevent the motor from rotating on the transom, putting the propeller dangerously close to the rudder. I know of some who have had their transoms reinforced for stiffness. It occurs to me that using a lightweight motor mount might be a better long term solution, and also avoids the prop/rudder issue. What types have people used successfully, and where can they be purchased (and for how much)? I notice the two shown in the Layline catalog for J-24's look like they would work, but are pricey at $175. Anyone selling a used one?

Postby Guest » Wed Jan 30, 2002 6:19 pm

Chris,

Before you get too involved with this, please be aware the class rules do not allow transom mounted outboard brackets. We have Closed Class rules which unless it is specifically noted as allowed optional equipment, it is illegal to use. In addition it would have to be removed for weighing your boat. I recently was forced to remove a stereo, speakers and an outboard bracket to hold the outboard under the cockpit (just like the one described in Kerry's project article).

It sounds crazy, but I'm told those are the rules.

Michael Lague

Postby Guest » Wed Jan 30, 2002 9:31 pm

Mike,

I am sorry to hear about your Stereo, I am also a Rocker from way back and like the tunes. I have some advise. According to Jeff Johnstones comments at our J-80 Meeting in Key West if something was permitted at the 2001 worlds, than it makes no sence to question it now. The specific discussion was about 2 to 1 jib sheets. I think that you miht have jumped the gun in removing your stereo.

Postby Guest » Thu Jan 31, 2002 8:55 am

I think it may be a question of what is allowed on the boat versus what can be considered permanent equipment which counts toward boat weight. Can someone (Karl deHam?) please clarify. An outboard bracket certainly offers no performance advantage and could, I suppose, be removed for class racing.

Postby Guest » Fri Feb 01, 2002 9:35 pm

Chris,

I agree. However, at the J80 Worlds in Newport my internal motor mount was ok and for some reason I was forced to remove it at Key West while others were allowed to keep the same exact device in tact for the weigh in measurement. Maybe the Executive committee can comment why????

Michael Lague

Postby Guest » Sun Feb 03, 2002 3:55 pm

Not having gone to KW I'd like to know more about the measurement policies of the class. I realize that the class measurer changed, but as an uninformed boat-owner, I'd like to think that we are developing some policy not subject to change with the measurer.

I have a few specific questions:

First, as I read the class rules, there is a reference to a process called FUNDAMENTAL MEASUREMENT. Presumably that is defined in the "Equipment Rules of Racing". Where can I get a definition of fundamental measurement and/or a copy of the "Equipment Rules of Racing".

Second, I had my boat weighed at the worlds. Am I subject to weighing at any regatta that I might plan to travel to? That would be the end of my traveling. I don't mind being weighed from time to time, but not if it means stripping the boat down the day before a regatta.

Third, the old class rules specifically allowed two-part jib sheets, but not neccessarily the turning blocks and cleats like Kerry has. What is the current official position on this, as I am considering trying it out.

Fourth, The old class rules specifically allowed any equipment below decks that did not "enhance performance". Are stereos and motor storage racks no longer allowed or just removed for weighing. (My "Klinger" motor storage rack was not removed for weighing at the worlds. I'm not surprised that a lot of people have adopted it, it works great and ads a lot of safety in heavy weather. J-Boats should address the oversight of safe motor storage in their stock product offering. Maybe pay Kerry a royalty on each unit.)

That's it,

Bob

Postby Guest » Sun Feb 03, 2002 6:45 pm

I'll try to address as many points as I can:

The ERS are published by the ISAF and may be found at the following web address:
http://www.sailing.org/ers2001

It is our intention to weigh boats annually at the NA's and at the Worlds. Other events should only require presentation of a measurement certificate with a signed owner's declaration and possibly examination of corrector weights. Measurement certificates are being processed by Karl deHam and will be mailed out as soon as he assimilates the data which he has only recently received from Gregg Morash.

The Executive Committee is currently investigating the legality of using turning blocks on the clew of the jib, as well as the other elements of the 2:1 jib sheet purchase system. We should come to a decision in the near future but will allow continued use until we clarify the matter and publicly announce a decision.

When measuring a boat's weight, only the equipment listed in the Class Rules as "Required" or permanently mounted "Optional" shall contribute to the measured weight of the boat. Other equipment may be added later for convenience, entertainment, or any other purpose other than to enhance performance; however, this equipment shall not contribute to the measurement weight. Unfortunately, some boats had such other equipment installed when measured at the Worlds - this was a mistake and we apologize for it. In the future all affected boats will need to be re-measured with the proper equipment configuration.

Motor mounts and brackets should be permissible but cannot contribute to the measured weight of boats. For those who like to split hairs, coolers, drinks, water, sandwiches, gear bags, shoes, socks, sunscreen, and lip balm are not specifically allowed under the closed class rules but are permitted on the boat - they also cannot contribute to the measured weight (Stereos can also fall into this category).

As Jeff Johnstone explained to ALL owners in attendance at KWRW, specific questions regarding measurement of a particular boat should be directed to the class measurer, who makes on-the-spot decisions at events.

Return to Archived Maintenance Topics