J80 for new Zealand ?

Racing Tools & Techniques

Moderator: forumadmin

Postby Guest » Sat Dec 09, 2006 11:01 pm

Hi,
Have just moved to the Bay of Island in New Zealand and joined the Keri Keri Cruising Club even before unpacking! Whilst it is a “Cruising Clubâ€

Postby Guest » Sun Dec 10, 2006 12:38 am

Rigid vang is worth getting. Genoa tracks can easily be added yourself. Cabin top winches are a personal preference issue.

[Posted by: Chris Morlan
]

Postby Guest » Mon Dec 18, 2006 9:52 pm

A port side Cabin top winch is a huge advantage in terms of adjusting halyard tension. I did without for two years and looking back its a huge mistake. A 4 hp four stroke is my preferred outboard, mine is Yamaha and works great. NZ is probably windy, but here in South Louisiana, a 150 genoa is worth the penalty

[Posted by: Nigel Beale
]

Postby erik_wirta » Tue Dec 19, 2006 11:43 am

If you are adding genoa tracks you may be interested in these installation instructions sent to me by JBoats
begin quote
The aft end of the track is located 7 cm outboard of the primary winches and 7 cm forward of the center point of the winch. When that point is located you angle the track so that it is aiming at the chain plate and you drill and bolt it in place.

Since the French Boats are not scrimp it is best to drill a small hole down through the track. Then take a hole cutter that is much bigger and drill up through the first layer of glass into the balsa (don’t go through the deck level of glass). Remove the drilled out core and inside layer of glass. Tape over the hole on the inside. Then using a two part epoxy you fill the hole from the deck level. Wipe any drips clean and walk away. The next day put the track back down and re-drill the holes from the deck down. These holes will be going through solid epoxy and there will be no possibility of getting water in the core. Make sure that you use washers that are larger then the hole you drilled below so that there is some overlap on the original part of the deck.

The steps mentioned above are steps that I would take on my own boat to make sure that I never had any possibility of water getting in the laminate. My only concern is to preserve my resale value on the boat. Some people may say this is overkill but it isn’t hard to do it just takes a little more time so why not do it?
end quote

Regarding the portside cabin top winch, which winch do you use , the 6, the 8, or the 16.2?

It looks to me line the 6 or 8 would do the job in terms of power, but the 16.2 has a much better line entry angle due to the higher drum.

but thats all on paper....
erik_wirta

Return to Racing Tools & Techniques