Spreader Failure

posting disabled

Moderator: forumadmin

Postby Guest » Sat Apr 06, 2002 5:04 pm

I'm looking for some insight/experience from anyone. Went down to the yard today to commission the mast, which was stored for the winter on a rack, anticipating launching later this month. When I went to replace the jib trim tapes on my spreaders I found that both the upper and lower spreaders on the starboard side have failed near the tips. Both show the same failure, the metal is cracked along the trailing edge of the spreader almost exactly where the trim tapes are placed and the cracks extend toward the mast for two to four inches. In addition the spreader is visably deformed (fatter) at these points.
My boat is a 2000 model and mostly club raced and I tune using the North Sails guide. Am I doing something wrong? Any thoughts would be appreciated since the spreaders will obviously need replacement but I would prefer to avoid a repitition of any error on my part.
Thanks

Postby Guest » Sun Apr 07, 2002 9:53 am

John,

I would recommend that you contact Hall Spars about the problem.

Postby Guest » Mon Apr 08, 2002 7:06 pm

Well, following Bob's advice I called Hall Spars today and related my problem. They were very responsive and very kind but not quite kind enough to keep me from feeling like a complete idiot. Turns out the "error" on my part is having stored the mast in the yard's rack this winter instead of on the boat. The mast was stored on it's side, which apparently allowed rain/snow water to enter and collect in the spreaders pointing towards the ground. Throw in even a milder than average New England winter and the rest is history. Water does, after all, expand when frozen (Physics 101). Nan Hall, to her credit, did try to soften the blow by assuring me that they see this type of problem all the time but it's still an expensive lesson in proper layup.

Postby Guest » Mon Apr 08, 2002 10:48 pm

Before putting out the $$ ($180 each) to buy a new set of spreaders, you should contact Gregg Morash in RI. Last time I spoke to him, he had a used set from his mast that was dropped in KW last year. He has sold the boat but may still have the spreaders or may know where they are located. Give me a shout and I'll give you his contact info.

Postby Guest » Tue Apr 09, 2002 7:20 pm

John,

It might be a long shot but properly worded you might have a valid insurance claim.

Return to Archived Maintenance Topics