What to look for in a used J80

posting disabled

Moderator: forumadmin

Postby Guest » Thu Jun 13, 2002 10:46 am

I'm in the Market for a used J80 and would like to know if there are any problem areas. Also, what are people doing with the bottom? Paint, no paint, or type of paint to stay away from?

Thank you

Postby Guest » Thu Jun 13, 2002 11:21 am

I have Hull No 95 and the previous owner had to repair some cracks where the bowsprit leaves the boat. Since the professional repair 3 years ago no problems. I do not know if the latter model have the same problems, most likely the fixed it up. The boat is build solid like all J/boats and because it is so simple and solid, you should not have any problems.
You can buy lighter and faster sports boats but they will not be build as solid...
As far as paint concerns, have a look what other people in the area are using, every paint has its pro and cons and you will come across a wide range of ideas. Hard racing paint seems to be the go, if in pen or moored.

Regards

Bobvon Felten

Postby Guest » Thu Jun 13, 2002 2:33 pm

Watch for:
Cracking around sprit exit
Wear on pintles/gudgeons
Loose stanchion bases
Rust streaks on rudder from non-sealed bolt holes
Grounding damage to aft tip of bulb
Galvanic corrosion at contact point between SS hardware and aluminum spars

All in all, very well-built boats that will last indefinitely with proper maintenance.

Postby Guest » Thu Oct 31, 2002 11:56 am

Contemplating the J/80 and am looking at one that was made in France. I am told there are differences: not cored with resin and are thusly lighter. Is this a bad thing?

Postby Guest » Thu Oct 31, 2002 12:14 pm

I am not aware of any major differences in the lamination schedule between US and french boats, though they may not be SCRIMP? Any weight difference will be equalized with correctors for one design racing. Good luck.

Postby Guest » Fri Nov 01, 2002 1:27 pm

Supposedly the 'French' boats are 200lbs lighter.

Postby Guest » Tue Nov 12, 2002 2:12 am

Javelin, Hull # 36 had to install 83 KILOS of correcter weight. That is 185.92 lbs of dead weight. This is with the biggest battery that would fit. I have to make crew weight AND haul another 185 lbs around. Good thing it does not drink beer! The difference is that the early hull numbers were laid up by hand and the later ones, although not the French boats, are SCRIMP boats.
Cheers,
Tom Gore

Postby Guest » Tue Nov 12, 2002 2:00 pm

From Jim Johnstone-

French boats are non-SCRIMP- lighter initial weight, different spars (Sparcraft) with some different fittings, lower lifelines, different bow pulpit, mast head lighting system, different moldings (winch pads and toe rails), and a different hatch supplier.

Postby Guest » Tue Jun 07, 2005 10:25 am

Assuming one is good, but not excellent with performing glasswork, what are some faults/damages that would automatically exclude a J80 from being repairable?

Thanks

Return to Archived Maintenance Topics