Outboards for J/80

posting disabled

Moderator: forumadmin

Postby Guest » Fri Jul 19, 2002 8:45 am

Just had an interesting experience with my 3.5hp Nissan motor. For us to move from the river to the ocean we need to trop the mast to pass two bridges.(7.5m) The locals have a good system worked out and you rely on a motor to make the passage with the sails down and the mast dropped.

When doing the operation under motor the sheer pin broke, very very anoying being in commercial shipping channel the mast half down and the motor working but the prop not spinning and a big container vessel with 2 pilot boat are approach you.

The boys rekon is never boreing with dad.....

Anyway, when talking to the agent he said he had similar problems before, particulary when you push the boat in a bit of headwind and some sea.

He recommend to change the prop to a different pitch so the load is not as great and the sheer pin designed to protect the drive shaft is not pushed over its limit.

I am not sure if they use the same sheerpins word wide, however if anybody experienced similar problem you know how to fix it. In any event I went to the drama of calling a resue boat, because I DID NOT KNOW WHERE I PUT THE SPARE SHEER PINS and to be honest I thought the motor broke down.

Anyway the motor is back in the garage and I sail in and out of the pen. I feel a lot better at least with sailing I have the feeling I am in control.

Postby Guest » Fri Jul 19, 2002 5:49 pm

Hi Bob,

I had a similar expereince while underway with a Nissan 3.5 (neutral and forward gears only), but on my old Catalina 16.5 and with considerably less traffic to avoid on the water...

The shear pin breakage was diagnosed as being caused by too much throttle at the time of shifting. If you throttle down between shifts, you should be fine.

Best of luck,
Chip

Postby Guest » Mon Jul 22, 2002 2:02 pm

Ditto,

Believe it or not Nissan sells Stainless Pins to replace Bronze. Because the prop is plastic I am hoping that a jolt won't break my gear with my Stainless Pin.

I broke a few at the wrong time before going to stainless.

Regards

Bada Bing 285

Postby Guest » Thu Jul 25, 2002 4:46 pm

I have a new boat (Hull #545) and the Nissan 5hp 2-stroke long shaft, and it wouldn't fit on the transom mount area(touched the pushpit) - added a spring loaded mount - works great, gets it deep in the water for waves, and well out for "Sunday cruises" - in flat water with 1/2 throttle does over 5.5 knots

Postby Guest » Mon Aug 26, 2002 9:03 pm

I've had on-going problems with the Nissan 3.5 that came with my J80 back in 2000. I'm thinking about changing over to the new Yamaha 2.5 4-stroke. I only use the motor to get in and out of our slip and out into Lake Pontchartrain. Do you think that a 2.5 HP will be enough?

Rob

Postby Guest » Wed Aug 28, 2002 9:55 pm

Rob-

I'm guessing the Yamaha 2.5 would be plenty for getting in and out of the slip at your lake. However OD rules require a 3 hp minimum. If it weren't for that I'd have the little Honda 4 stroke in a heart beat. Haven't heard about the 2.5 Yamaha but will check it out. I'd say if you don't race under OD rules then go for it. If you do race OD borrow a 3 for the weekend.

Let us know how the Yamaha works out.

Scott
USA 334 "Boomerang"

Postby Guest » Wed Aug 28, 2002 10:09 pm

Rob-

I just checked out the Yamaha web site on the new 2.5 hp 4 stroke. Looks like a nice package at 37 pounds. Couldn't tell from the spec page if it had reverse or not. If it does that would be a great extra.

The one thing to be careful of is the shaft length. The Yamaha web site only showed a 15" shaft length. My Nissan 3.5 is a 20" shaft mounted on the transom in the standard position and when motor sailing on port tack the prop sometimes will come out of the water. It will also come out if too much weight forward as in rigging while underway. I would think the 15" shaft could be very problematic in this regard unless you have (or install) an outboard bracket that would drop the motor at least 5 inches lower then the std transom position. The little Honda comes in a 20" length-but no reverse.

Postby Guest » Fri Sep 13, 2002 8:25 am

I am about to buy a J/80 with the plan of turning it into a day sailor for my mother. However there is no way she could use a pull-start engine, and so I am being forced to put a much larger one on than I would have originally liked. Given the smallest one I have found weighs in at a lofty 60 lbs, I am trying to find a way of minimizing that weight hanging off the rear end.
My brother still plans on racing it from time to time and so it needs to have at least some capability to get up and go. So if anyone has some ideas on how to balance the weight I would really appreciate it. I have thought of moving the battery to the starbord bow, and trying to equallize the weight, but I am not sure where center of effort should be... Again any ideas would be appreciated.

Greg

Postby Guest » Fri Sep 13, 2002 9:32 am

I am not sure that pullstarting a small outboard is anymore difficult than the other tasks that need to be done to sail a J-80. Specifically hoisting and trimming the mainsail. Not to mention any sailhandling that might need to be done in a sudden storm.

What exactly are your concerns with the pullstart? Too hard to pull? Needs to be pulled faster than your mother can handle? Too complicated compared to a key?

Will your mother be single-handling the boat? Depending on the area you sail, I would really think twice about letting someone who does not have the strength to pull start a small outboard sail a J-80 by themselves. And if she will sail with crew perhaps one of them would be able to start the engine.

-Tak

Previous

Return to Archived Maintenance Topics