Extending Bow Sprit

posting disabled

Moderator: forumadmin

Postby Guest » Thu Aug 15, 2002 11:57 am

Its a real challenge to extend the sprit with ease (not having to pull like a bear). How easy should it be to extend. Also, when retracting the pole there is a piercing noise. Does the sprit need some lube or is this normal?

JP

Postby Guest » Thu Aug 15, 2002 12:22 pm

Something doesn't sound right.

Our 110# female crew member extends the pole without any problem.

I have never heard any noise from the pole when it is being retracted, although that could be because we can't hear it over the skipper yelling at us to get the chute out of the water!

BL #488

Postby Guest » Thu Aug 15, 2002 1:51 pm

Check the condition of the blocks (they can become damaged, I've replaced two) and make sure the lines are running correctly (not twisted). Also, be sure to release the tack line before extending the sprit. Spray the sprit with McLube.

Postby Guest » Thu Aug 15, 2002 6:17 pm

I untied the bungie cord holding the pole. This allows effortless extension and retracting is easy by just pulling tack line.

Postby Guest » Mon Aug 19, 2002 12:05 pm

JP,

On my new J80 hull (#480)the shock cord supplied by TPI was to short and it was very hard to pull the pole out and it came back in like a rocket! Maybe that is your problem as well. Also, the factory position of the Harken block (with becket) that the shockcord is attached to is (most of the time) positioned wrong. It is directly behind the pole so the pole bangs into it on the way in. I like it just adjacent to the pole on the bulkhead.

Jay Lutz
PS- You do have a knot on the pole line to keep from hitting the bulkhead when retracting?...you should.

Postby Guest » Wed Aug 21, 2002 12:48 pm

Here's another thought:

Tie an intermediate stopper knot in the sprit extension line to stop the sprit's retraction movement before it hits a block or the bulkhead when retracting. You'll have to experiment to get the knot placement just right...

Chip Vollers
#257, "Gizmo"

Postby Guest » Wed Aug 21, 2002 12:50 pm

Oops...sorry Jay, just saw your post script.

Chip

Ps. Nice piece in the latest SW on Code Zeros for fractional rigs. I need to give you a call...

Postby Guest » Wed Aug 21, 2002 1:18 pm

1. My J80, #382 came with a shock cord tht was MUCH too short & was useless. I had to purchase a replacement that was longer and install that. Works fine now but J Boats failed on the OEM item!!
2. Pardon my ignorance- what is a "code zero" sail??

Postby Guest » Thu Aug 22, 2002 1:58 pm

A Code Zero is a close-reaching (sometimes up to 40 degrees apparent) spinnaker that can be used in lieu of a #1 genoa. Both North and Quantum say the sail can be tacked to the J/80 sprit and is best used with a small continuous line furler. Check out this month's Sailing World for more info or contact Jay Lutz at North directly.

Chip

Postby Guest » Tue Aug 27, 2002 10:11 am

My boat was delivered with the shock cord and turning blocks for the shock cord installed WRONG. Be sure it is setup right, according to the manual. Mine was difficult to extend also, until I re-rigged it the correct way. Also bought a longer shock-cord and a stainless bolt to go through the aft end of the pole to attach the shock cord to. This bolt eliminated the twisting of the pole and relieved a couple chafe points.

Can take pictures for anyone who wants them.

Roadkill

Return to Archived Maintenance Topics