Need Tunes

posting disabled

Moderator: forumadmin

Postby Guest » Wed Sep 04, 2002 1:10 pm

Ok, so I'm getting a little cruzie......

Where should I mount my radio/cd player so that it will be out of the way of racing, buy my remote control will still be able to "see" the face plate. The CD's load in the front of the unit. Also, I am thinking about installing the speakers in the aft inspection ports on each side? Thoughts?

In general, I prefer not to cut holes and I don't want to change the integrity of the structure.

Thanks in advance,

Chris

Postby Guest » Wed Sep 04, 2002 2:47 pm

C'mon Chris, don't you think you've pampered your crew long enough?

You've already wardrobed them from head to toe. And now music. What's next? Padded lifelines? Toe rail cushions? Spray shields? A beverage and sandwich butler?

On Boomerang it's nothing but cold beer and colder come-backs.

And we're darn grateful.

;)

-Tripp

Postby Guest » Wed Sep 04, 2002 3:00 pm

Talk about cruzie....

I'm thinking about the same thing, however my aft face of the cabin top already has a speedo, a wind guage, a depth guage on one side and a compass and sprit control line on the other. Thinking about adding the CD/radio unit under the existing VHF just inside the companionway and to port. Already have a GPS/chartplotter on the starboard side on a swing arm (previous owner named her "Gizmo" for a reason...). Already have two batteries so power won't be an issue.

Like the idea of using the aft inspection ports for the speakers but that means removing my "cat" bags. Sacrifices, sacrifices.

Chip
Gizmo #257

Postby Guest » Wed Sep 04, 2002 4:32 pm

Chip,

Send me some pictures!

chris@theyellowboat.com

Postby Guest » Wed Sep 04, 2002 6:30 pm

A long time ago when we had a regular class newsletter there was an article about how one guy installed his stereo. He fabricated a new, short weather board for the companionway and mounted two speakers and an amplifier to it. The amplifier plugged into a cigarette lighter plug and the amplifier had a headphone jack that could go into a walkman, diskman, or - not available then - an MP3 player. While seriously racing he just stowed it below, while cruzing, he just slid it into the companionway. Pretty clever and in keeping with the simplicity of the boat.

Postby Guest » Thu Oct 31, 2002 5:03 pm

I mounted a pair of Jenson marine biaxial speakers in truncated cone-shaped enclosures to a pair of inspection port covers. The wire goes through the mount into the void where they are plugged into the wire going to the amp. The speakers point foward & the covers are marked port & stbd so they allways point the same way. I also made a little bag similar to the line bags to hold the walkman cd player. Wires for power & the amp come through the side of the cockpit into the bag. Plug in the player, turn it on & stuff it in the bag. Only thing I would do different would be to put window material in the front of the bag in order to see through to push the buttons on the face of the player. I'll post pics when I can take some.

Postby Guest » Thu Oct 31, 2002 6:32 pm

Tom,

This sounds like a great solution!

Chip Vollers
Gizmo, #257

Postby Guest » Fri Nov 01, 2002 10:16 am

My boat, Sting #67, has almost 200lbs of corrector weight installed. Would it be legal to use an amp or other equipment as corrector weight if it was installed in the same place as the corrector weights? Dead weight is dead weight, right? Why not have something useful instead of lead?

Postby Guest » Fri Nov 01, 2002 12:22 pm

The measured weight of the boat only includes those items specified in the Class Rules. Additional gear such as stereo equipment, an extra battery, or customized interior, etc. may be on the boat when racing but does not contribute to the measured weight. Corrector weight is specified in the rules:

C.5.2 (b) If the boat is found to be underweight, lead corrector weights shall be added to bring the boat up to the minimum required weight. These corrector weights shall be divided equally fore and aft and shall be glued, bonded or fixed in the locations specified in Appendix H.2.

Although it seems to make sense to allow use of other items for weight correction, this would complicate the measurement process to ensure rules compliance.

Return to Archived Maintenance Topics