Advice on securing mast for storage/trailering?

posting disabled

Moderator: forumadmin

Postby Guest » Thu Nov 07, 2002 4:51 pm

I'll be picking up my new (to-me) J/80 this weekend, and was wondering if anyone has any tips for how to secure the mast for a long haul at highway speeds. (Currently my J/24 goes about 3/4 of a mile twice a year at 25 mph, so I get away with just leaving the mast in the slings in which its stored over winter.)

Does anyone have any photos of their '80 on the trailer, ready for towing? Any tips for on-deck storage over winter?

Thanks in advance,

Al

Postby Guest » Fri Nov 08, 2002 10:51 am

Build yourself a couple of braces to span the bow and stern pulpits and support your mast. They can be fabricated from pressure-treated 2x4's and attached to the pulpits with U-bolts. Screw small pieces of 2x4 to the tops, leaving a gap slightly larger than the width of the mast, and line this area with carpet. Put a large fender on top of the companionway to support the middle. Lay the mast into the supports and lash the forward part to the bow eye and wrap the backstay lines around the aft end and cinch tight. If you have a metal headfoil, be sure to avoid bending or kinking it during the drop. Make sure you tape your halyards and shrouds to the mast (using duct tape "inside out") and remove your Windex!
Strap the boat to the trailer using wide nylon trucking straps that can be cranked down fairly tightly. Cover or remove your rudder.
Good luck!

Postby Guest » Fri Nov 08, 2002 8:29 pm

Removing the rudder is a good suggestion. If your going any distance, it will save a lot of wear on the pin and brackets. On a long distance haul, you may want to wrap a docking line a couple of times around the base of the keel to the stern of the trailer frame. It will keep the boat from shifting forward if you hit the brakes hard or brake down a bummpy hill.

Postby Guest » Fri Nov 08, 2002 8:33 pm

for winter storage, if your in snow country, remove the stanchions, and lay a canvas tarp over the mast from end to end.. home depot has good tarps cheap.. I use 2 10'x16'

Postby Guest » Sat Nov 09, 2002 12:47 pm

Last winter someone posted a note about damage to the spreader tips which turned out to be caused by trapped water freezing and bursting the seams. The writer had called Hall Spars who knew of the problem right away from previous experiences. The next day I went down to check my rig which was stored outside in our New Hampshire winter. Fortunately my spreader tips seem to drain, but this year I will go back to covering that part of the mast.

Postby Guest » Mon Nov 11, 2002 11:06 am

Thanks for the responses. I am happy to report that she made the trip from NY to MA without incident, and that she's getting ready for the winter's hibernation.

I'm looking forward to an early spring . . .

Postby Guest » Wed Nov 13, 2002 11:20 pm

Nothing to add on trailering, but does anyone know of a good source for trailering covers for the keel, rudder, and mast? I live in Phoenix, AZ and would prefer a west coast supplier, if possible.

Thanks,
John Wilcox
Whiplash, USA383

Postby Guest » Thu Nov 14, 2002 2:27 am

Take a look at Kinder Industries, website in the Links section of this website. I have their rudder cover - very well made and fits beautifully.

Postby Guest » Thu Nov 14, 2002 10:09 am

Most any of the big sailmakers (North, UK, Quantum, etc.) make the covers.

Postby Guest » Sun Dec 01, 2002 5:04 pm

For what it's worth:
I've learned from more experienced travelers/J80 teams that an old mainsail bag covers 1/3 of the mast in transit. This seems to work well holding stays, fittings, and gear together while also eliminating birds/animals from nesting inside the mast!

Postby Guest » Mon Oct 10, 2005 10:18 am

Please advise the height of a J-80 on the trailer with mast on deck. Thanks.

Return to Archived Maintenance Topics