Trailer Boxes

posting disabled

Moderator: forumadmin

Postby Guest » Sun Jan 12, 2003 6:00 pm

I am looking for advice on trailer boxes. I have looked at the "T" type (fits in back of trucks) in metal and plastic. I am looking for help or information as to what kind would be best, how to mount, what material should the box be made of, etc.
( I know I can only mount a "T" box behind the forward boat supports.

What should be the road clearances from the bottom of box to the road?

Any feed back would be great.!!!!

Postby Guest » Mon Jan 13, 2003 12:17 am

Ann, I can't offer all the specifications you seek but make sure the box doesn't interfere with the straps holding down the boat (at the bow end). My advice is to hold the straps in place while making sure you're satisfied with the box position (both lid open & closed positions).

Many boats at Key West will have trailer boxes and borrowing ideas from well-traveled veterans might provide the best answers.

Just my thoughts!

David
Jibber Jabber, USA 366

Postby Guest » Mon Jan 13, 2003 10:19 am

Plastic is lighter and cheaper, and does not rust. I recommend the biggest box that will fit near the front of the trailer, but bear in mind it will increase tongue weight. U-bolts work best to attach the box to most trailers. Do make sure the top opens easily and does not hit the trailer supports, hull, or tie-down straps (i.e. test-mount with the boat secured to the trailer. Do not mount the bottom of the box lower than the trailer frame.

Postby Guest » Mon Jan 13, 2003 2:26 pm

I cut the metal loops for the bow straps off and moved them forward and rewelded. This allowed me to mount a fiberglass box across the trailer. I also welded a section a 3" angle iron across the trailer to add support under the fiberglass box. Be sure to mount the box just in front of the forward braces of the front boat pads. This is as far aft as it would fit on my trailer. Helps with the tongue weight. I mounted the box by drilling through the box and trailer and bolting down. Be sure to use large fender washers inside the box. I really like the fiberglass storage boxes but they are a little expensive. I also mounted PVC and fibergalss pipes on the trailer for storing the boom, vang, and board used to support the mast across the stern pulpits. I also mounted a small plastic box just behind the hitch. I keep the grease gun and other messy things in this box. This is probably overkill but I love having the storage on the trailer.

Craig

Return to Archived Maintenance Topics