Asymmetric sheet recommendations

posting disabled

Moderator: forumadmin

Postby Guest » Thu May 29, 2003 5:48 am

Please can someone give me advice on sheets for the asymmetric? I see that class rules say 4mm minimum – although obviously this is a bit fine for when the wind blows...

Do people use light and heavy sheets or just one set of tapered sheets. If tapered - any info on where the taper ends would be most useful. We sail in class events so need to comply with the regs.

Presumably spectra with a 4mm core would be a good all around choice?

Also is there any advantage of an A sheet arangement over the single line strop style for the tack attachment?

Many thanks,

Peter

Postby Guest » Thu May 29, 2003 8:16 am

I have a light and heavy air set of sheets, both of which are continuous with a short strop that attaches to the clew. The light ones are 4mm and the heavy are 5/16" non-tapered spectra core/polypro cover. Not sure what you mean by "single line strop style for the tack attachment"...

Postby Guest » Fri Feb 11, 2005 2:44 pm

is it better to use a medium size diameter line for the spin sheet that doesn't weigh a lot or is it better to use very thin sheets in light air. I have had some problems with the thin lines getting caught in the blocks. Are there any solutions to this problem? Are there any types of sheets that work better?

Postby Guest » Wed Feb 16, 2005 4:55 pm

We use tapered sheets/single strop which are fine for light air, but can be tough for a leeward take down in heavy air, especially when it is raining. Just not enough grip.

Return to Archived Sails & Tuning