Mast Butt position

posting disabled

Moderator: forumadmin

Postby Guest » Sun May 18, 2003 11:02 am

Hello All,

I’m looking for some information on the effects the position of the mast butt will have on performance, pointing, sail trim etc. The previous owner pushed the mast butt forward by drilling new holes. What are the pros and cons of doing this?

Thanks,

Bob Lyons
USA 220

Postby Guest » Sun May 18, 2003 8:49 pm

Bob,

Virtually all of the sailmakers address the issue of mast butt position in their tuning guides. Some give specific recommendations and others a methodology for getting it in the right place. The position is dependent on headstay length. Most of the older boats that I have seen (yours would be one) needed new holes to locate the butt farther forward with the recommended headstay length. I suggest you talk to the sailmaker who's name is on your sails.

Postby Guest » Thu Jul 17, 2003 11:55 am

Hi,
Could someone please look where the bottom of the mast extrusion rests on the mast base and tell me how much (if any) space there is between the leading edge and the mast base. Seems that on our J80 it is about 1/4" (that is, it is resting on the back side of the mast, tilted back quite a bit creating a space on the forward side). We have the back of the mast 8.63 inches forward of the front face of the bulkhead and the mast is all the way aft in the collar. Just want to make sure nothing is wrong and this space is supposed to be there.

Thanks!

Steve

Return to Archived Sails & Tuning