Whisker pole

posting disabled

Moderator: forumadmin

Postby Guest » Mon Mar 10, 2003 2:45 pm

I compete in an informal evening race, non-spinaker. I am debating whisker pole and am looking for any recomendations or experience anyone has had ,pros as well as cons

Postby Guest » Mon Mar 10, 2003 8:16 pm

In phrf, a whisker pole can not be longer than the J measurement. Even with a small jib, whisker poles make a big difference. If it does not alter your rating, or if your competitors are using them, go for it..
Bear off after rounding the winward mark, keep some speed, with the jib and main both on port or starboard, set the pole then head dead down wind and gibe the main, bingo, wing on wing...
Anytime you want to gibe the jib or release the pole, cover the jib with the main to ease the wind pressure and off you go...

Postby Guest » Tue Mar 11, 2003 9:37 am

The rules require that the whisker pole be attached to the mast, so you will need a spinnaker pole ring or some other means of attachment.

Postby Guest » Tue Mar 25, 2003 10:22 am

Dear Jeff,

I use the whisker pole a lot. Works well and I use a carbon pole, is very light. They do not need to be as strong as a spinnaker pole and a old windsurfing mast (carbon) cut to size works well, very light and quite cheap.
If you want I can messure mine and give you an idea where I put my spin ring on the mast.

If you want to go a bit faster, consider to install some "reaching hooks for you two sail reaching. ( A short strop from the stantion in front of the side size and clip it on the clew. This will hold the clew down and makes the upper part of the jib working much better. Do not forget to unclip before you tack or gibe and clip the new side on once you on the new tack.

Have fun

Bob von Felten
Cafe Latte # 95

Return to Archived Sails & Tuning