A-Sail Cloth Weight

posting disabled

Moderator: forumadmin

Postby Guest » Sun Feb 09, 2003 11:27 am

I have an AirX600. Wanted to buy another A-sail, but thought I would go with 0.75oz so I would have one that is stronger for heavier air. Sailmakers are advising strongly against it. Any of you have 0.75oz A-sail that would care to comment?

Postby Guest » Sun Feb 09, 2003 11:46 am

Craig;
a thread on the subject can be found in the class rules discussions, called SPINNAKER CLOTH WEIGHT.

Postby Guest » Sun Feb 09, 2003 6:57 pm

I have both. I got the .75 oz with the boat. I have since purchased and sail an Airx 600 chute. The Airx will stand up to the wind in any condition you typically want to sail in. An error that damages the AirX would probably have done the same to the 3/4 oz.

Current class rules prevent you from changing to a different chute until you damage the primary. You will always be wanting to sail your fastest sail when racing, and will infrequently be in conditions where the sail is at significant risk. Why go and buy a slower sail? Buy as fast a sail as you can get and use the old one when it's blowing.

Another alternative is to buy a used 3/4 oz. I think there is one listed in the classifieds

Steve Strout
Ghost Dancing

Postby Guest » Sun Feb 09, 2003 10:22 pm

If you want to race the boat I would get the Airex 600. I have a 3/4 oz that is a great chute but is only used in Club racing. With the rules as they are I would stay with the Airex 600. Is a much better all around sail.

Craig W.

Return to Archived Sails & Tuning