155% genoas

posting disabled

Moderator: forumadmin

Postby Guest » Mon Jun 17, 2002 1:30 am

I dont understand North says that 155% is to big. I use a 155% and carry it up 12-14 true before I get overpowered. The boats are very stiff.
We have a PHRF rating of 126 bouy and 144 random leg and 108 off wind. and find we ompetetive in all ratings and all conditions.

Postby Guest » Mon Jun 17, 2002 5:46 am

dnaj80 :
how much crew weight are you carrying on board ?
I find the boat definitely stiff with a 135 and 780 lb crew

Regards
Massimo Polo

Postby Guest » Mon Jun 17, 2002 8:30 am

I am not a sailmaker, but let me share my experience. I use my boat a lot in heavy air and for the first 3 years I only had a 100% and a 80% jib and had plenty of power for my skill level . I think size is only one variable, you can have a "small sail" with lots of grunt (draft) or a "big sail" flat like a sheet. And of course needless to say that skill is a very important variable too.
We sailing better now than 3 years ago and I finally got my 135 % for the winter conditions.
My boat had a 155% which I found useless and very clumsy. (It was cut for HK very full)
My prefered sail is still a 100% jib which I used in all conditions for three years. No-overlapping jibs are so userfriendly, and in light air I just power up the main more.
I think how much you get penalized has a lot to do with most people's preference for the 135%

As always this comments come form a recreational sailor and not from the elite...

Bob

Postby Guest » Mon Jun 24, 2002 5:53 am

DNAJ80,

On the contrary, we feel for handicap racing a genoa is a good idea. The size of the genoa would be determined buy how your local handicap is adjusted by the larger LP % -and what type of sailing conditions you race in.

...On a side note a 155% will have a tough time sheeting on a genoa track that is placed just forward to and slightly inside the factory winches. The clew design will be very low.

Jay Lutz
North Sails

Postby Guest » Fri Dec 10, 2004 6:15 am

For the next racing season we will be switching to ORC Club handicap system here in North East of Italy. As far as I know this will mean that the 155% genoa configuration will owe about 14 secs/ mile to the 102% jib setup. Well, most of our races are run in light air (3-8 knots), but 14 secs/mile are a big penalty. So the question is : do you feel that the small jib option may become competitive in those conditions ?

thanks in advance for your toughts,

cheers

Massimo
Italy

Postby Guest » Sat Dec 11, 2004 12:59 pm

I agree that a large genoa is needed for handicap racing a J/80 if you expect to be competitive in light air. I have a Quantum 155%, wouldn't be without it. It is clumsy to tack, but worth it. You might consider a 150% at the max though. My genoa tracks end almost right at the winches. The best position for my lead is on the last pin and the clew is inches off the deck, so there is no room to adjust to close off the top of the sail. But I would still recommend a large genoa for handicap racing.

Postby Guest » Tue Dec 14, 2004 7:48 pm

J80 Whiplash bested 18 boats in the Lake Pleasent Fall Series here in Arizona.

We never used a genoa even though the boat has one. The boat was rigged in a one design configuration with all mandatory equiptment. We never asked that our rating be motified due to the fact that our sail area was less. The Melges 24 used it's class sails and were second. We raced in all types of conditons 75% of which were sailed in winds less that 5 kts. We also had the largest marginal phrf handicap victory of the series, crossing the line more than 16 minutes ahead of second place boat.

I had a long talk with the owner before we decided to just use the one design set-up. He is planning on racing California. So, it is important to race and practice with that set-up. There is also zero visibility with the genoa.

Postby Guest » Sat Feb 11, 2006 9:13 pm

I usually sail out of tight quarters under main alone for that reason, anytime there is light air, and I have little room to tack, the absence of a jib allows me to point the bow where I want it until the keel begins to lift and the boat reaches steerageway.

Return to Archived Sails & Tuning