Spinnaker Halyard

posting disabled

Moderator: forumadmin

Postby Guest » Wed May 15, 2002 10:41 am

I've seen that the spin halyard on some 80's has a knot near the top to prevent the last few inches of the halyard from being pulled into the mast when raising the chute. I assume that's for one of 2 possible reasons: to prevent the shackle from getting jammed into the block at the head of the mast or to keep the head of the sail out away from the mast a few inches, maybe to increase its separation from the main. So my questions are: 1. which is the correct reason? 2. how far should the stop knot be from the top? 3. are there any disadvantages?

Thanks,
Mike

Postby Guest » Wed May 15, 2002 5:10 pm

The primary reason is to keep the halyard from jamming in the sheave. We use a stopper ball rather than a knot and it is located approx. 1" from the shackle. The splice will prevent you from tying the knot within about 6" of the shackle. Some ease the halyard a little in order to make the luff fuller and rotate the sail to weather. Most accomplish this by easing the tack or a combination of the two. There is an obvious disadvantage to having the halyard jam in the sheave, so tie a knot or use a stopper ball. Also remember to tape the shackle, it has been known to pop open at inopportune moments. Or remove it completely and tie the halyard to the head.

Postby Guest » Thu May 16, 2002 8:06 am

I strongly recommend losing the shackle all together and tying the halyard to the sail. I did this after my shackle opened at a very inopportune time. Besides, it save weight aloft!

Return to Archived Sails & Tuning