Chute Hexarachets and Deck Cam Cleats

posting disabled

Moderator: forumadmin

Postby Guest » Tue Mar 19, 2002 10:25 pm

I'm confused on how this hardware for spinakker sheet control should be setup. Where should the hexarachets be mounted and how are the cam cleats to be used? The cam cleats seem to be too far aft the way we are running the chute. Thanks for any coaching.

Postby Guest » Wed Mar 20, 2002 10:16 am

I have conventional turning blocks on the aft padeyes and hexaratchets mounted to the set of stanchion bases forward of the stern pulpit (pushpit?). The cam cleats are offset from a line drawn from the hexaratchets to the winch, and are only used to cleat off the sheets upwind so they do not drag in the water.
When trimming the chute in light air we disable the ratchets, in medium air we turn on the ratchets, and in really heavy air go to the winches.
Hope this helps!

Postby Guest » Thu Jun 16, 2005 2:36 pm

We tried rigging ours two different ways, first we tried it the way that Chris suggested, with the turning blocks on the aft padeyes, and the hexarachets on the stanchion bases, then we moved the hexarachets to the padeyes and the turning blocks to the stanchion bases, I found that this setup is easier on the crew when it comes to trimming in heavy air, and makes full use of the locking feature of the hexarachet. You just have to make sure when jibing that the old live sheet is clear to feed out of the turning block, or the hexarachet will keep you from getting a clean jybe.

Postby Guest » Fri Jun 17, 2005 10:00 am

Ron,
I use auto/adjustable rachets located on the stern pulpets. These work pretty good. I removed the camcleats off the deck and placed them on the inside edge of the cockpit. The camcleats as they were located on my boat, would unintentionally cleat the spinnaker sheet especially if you decided to use the windward winch in blow...they had to go! Now with the cleats being on the inside of the cockpit allows a place conveniently cleat off the sheet upwind or in a pinch when pleasure sailing and the sheet just pop out when you pull on them
Terry Burke
TopNotch #405

Postby Guest » Sat Jun 18, 2005 3:37 pm

I am using a Harken 2680 75mm Carbo Ratchamatic on my mainsheet and am very happy with it.

What blocks are you using for your spin sheet system:
Harken 2680 75mm Carbo Ratchamatic (750lb SWL) or the smaller 2625 57mm Carbo Ratchamatic (500lb SWL)?

Also, are you employing any ratchamatics on your jib sheet blocks?

By the way, I sail in Hawaii where the sailing is often in 20+ knots of breeze.

Bruce Olsten
Boondoggle #10

Return to Archived Sails & Tuning