Windward Sheeting Traveler

posting disabled

Moderator: forumadmin

Postby Guest » Sat Mar 02, 2002 5:54 am

Anyone have any experience using Windward Sheeting Travelers on your J/80

Postby Guest » Sat Mar 02, 2002 1:39 pm

I had a J/105 that came with WWST, thought it was the greatest thing since sliced bread. Now have a J/80 and was going to install WWST, but this forum told me not to. And you know what, they were right. With a CONTINUOUS (this is the key) traveler sheet, you really don't need WWST on the J/80. And as nice as WWST's are for larger boats, they do have a minor achilles. In very light air, sometimes there isn't enough pressure to get the clutch to release --- not a big deal, you just have to push the sheet to leeward but kind of defeats the purpose of the WWST. In more breeze, once in a while the lower mainsheet block can (and will) twist, wrap and foul the mechanism on top of the traveler car during the tack and the clutch won't release --- when this happens in a stout breeze, it takes some manhandling of the traveler/sheet to get it to let loose so the WWST can do it's thing. If nothing else, try the J/80 without WWST before you invest --- just make sure you have a continous traveler line.

Postby Guest » Sun Mar 03, 2002 1:30 am

I agree with Craig, WWS are good on bigger boats and heavy air, I too recommend a contiues traveller system (if you want with spin look mini clutches) works very well in ALL conditions.

I used a WWS for some time, and now I am back to a continues traveller system with mini-clutches and I believe this to be the best system.
Just make sure the continues line is long enough as not to accidently open the clutches when moving around and touching the slack traveller sheet.

I believe the main benefit of a WWS is that the traveller locks automatically when you have chinese jibe (yes it happens to all beginners once or twice including me), however the recommended continues sytem will do the same, just make sure both cleats (or clutches) are looked ALL THE TIME) and the continues sheet will allow you to open the cleat (clutch) from the other side.

Works well, because the sytem does not require Pressure from the boom/mainsheet to release the old side. You will do it manually.

Hope it makes sense. Just set up a contiues line, plenty of slack and keep the cleats ALLWAYS closed and after a tack when you want to bring the traveller up , sitting on the new side, just use the long continues sheet sitting on the windward side and release the old cleat and pull up.

Have fun.

Bob

Postby Guest » Mon Mar 04, 2002 10:00 am

I think it is a matter of personal preference. The previous owner of my 80 had installed a WS car and I left it on. I love it. The light air comment is valid, but I just push the car with my foot to release the "clutch". The interference problem with the lower sheet block can be remedied by moving the strop from the top of the mainsheet tackle to the bottom. I did this at Key West and wonder why I never thought of it before!
The bottom line is to set up the boat whatever way works best for you.

Return to Archived Sails & Tuning