Main Sheet Systems

posting disabled

Moderator: forumadmin

Postby Guest » Wed Sep 12, 2001 8:25 am

I would like to hear from anyone who has changed thier mainsheet system...what they used etc pros and cons

thanks

Dave Betts

Postby Guest » Wed Sep 12, 2001 8:59 am

Everyone has their own preferences, but I have a Harken windward sheeting traveler and
Harken 6:1/3:1 system assembled by Layline (see their catalog at http://www.layline.com). The beauty of this system is that you have a continuous sheet, and can trim in quickly at 3:1 at the leeward mark by pulling both lines or under higher loads at 6:1 by pulling a single line. The only thing I would change is possibly putting a wedge under the dual cam cleat to make cleating easier.

Postby Guest » Wed Sep 12, 2001 9:46 am

Dear Dave,
I changed my mainsheet system 2 years ago to windward sheeting system and a 4:1/8:1 with double cam cleats (Spinlock micro clutch) and I used it for nearly 2 years. I also used wedge under the dual cam cleat.

We used it for 2 year whilst we were learning and imporving our skills. Suddenly we found that the extra purchase of the split system makes it slow to ease out.

Now we are back to the original system because we want it to be faster and more responsive, we removed the windward sheeting system, because do not have chinese gibes anymore.

All I did was change the cam cleats to spinlock mini clutch .

So you trade extra purchase for ease of handling.

Depending on crew skills and special reason, it may be a good idea to modify it for a while. I am almost certain that after one or two seasons you will be back at the original system.

Is worth the change? In my opinion No. use the extra money to get some sexy sails or a rigid boom vang.

Of course I was sure 2 years ago that I would do the right thing...

Have fun deliberating

Bob von Felten
# Cafe Latte

Postby Guest » Sat Oct 13, 2001 10:24 am

We changed ours from the stock system several years ago and love it.

We installed two Ti-lights in the boom and ran a 3:1 through those to the spinlock cleat we installed on the swivel arm. The exit line that comes out of the last ti-light is run to a 4:1 that is anchored to a strap on the deck at midline of the boat. The tails from this 4:1 are run to cleats on the side tanks so that the helmsmans leg has the backstay on one side of his leg and the main sheet fine trim on the other.

In an anything over about 6-8kn, the fine trim is really easy to use without having to look at sail controls (Helmsman is pretty busy anyhow on a J80). In lighter than 6kn, if the sail sheet needs it, we can disconnect the 4:1 from the system and only use the 3:1.

We also changed out the block on the swivel arm from a standard harken block to one of the smart ratchets. In this way, as the wind builds and you need the extra purchase, you don't need to be leaning down into the cockpit to flip the clicker on. It also doesn't come on when you don't want it.

The whole thing has really worked flawlessly in lite and heavy air and permits the driver to not be so much in task overload - especially in the heavy stuff. The 12:1 tune upwind is great to do one handed and to be able to find it without having to look around and use your foot to cleat the main etc..

There is a similiar set up if you go to the Harken web site and look at the various boat setups . I think its either the J29 or J92 that is similiar.

Just our $0.02.

Return to Archived Sails & Tuning