Rule Interpretations and Changes

posting disabled

Moderator: forumadmin

Postby Guest » Thu Feb 14, 2002 10:47 pm

This is a plea to the Executive Committee and or Technical Committee,

I was recently informed by a close friend in the sailing hardware industry (from a major catalogue distributor) that the J80 class members are requesting all kinds of wild hardware.

I thought it would be best if you share the discussion at Key West regarding rule changes and interpretation so that people buy/acquire the appropriate hardware within your ruling. Please be very specific in the techinical allowances and term allowance (indefinately or temporary) of the rulings.

Please share the official ruling regarding the Jib sheet system and backstay configuration you communicated at Key West. Also, it may be best to inform the class members of the rule changes voted on and approved by ISAF back in November 2001.

I have received numerous inquiries related to KWRW rulings in preparation of Tampa NOOD, and SORC. Please help out with this communication.

Postby Guest » Fri Feb 15, 2002 1:00 am

Dude,

Is there something you know that we don't? There are only three charter boats at the Tampa NOOD and only three registered for SORC (one is your best friend Geff). How many numerous inquiries did you get and why would they ask you? Also, who's your buddy, who does he work for, and what kind of wild hardware are people buying? Did he just call you up to tell you the scoop? I'd like to put some on my boat so I can go faster too.

Help us new guys get up to speed.

Postby Guest » Fri Feb 15, 2002 9:08 am

I purchased some very wild and expensive hardware so that I could trick out my jib like the 'Fast Guys' I was told by a class officer the day before the race that "The Use of Jib clew blocks was discussed by the execuative comittee and ruled against use" So I took my Trick Equipment off to comply, only to get out to the race coarse to find that 11th Hour Deals were made at 10:00PM the night before racing.

Maybee something like this

" I know something that is not legal on your boat, If you do not let me use jib blocks than you can not use your ??? "

Thats Great Stuff !

Postby Guest » Fri Feb 15, 2002 11:26 am

Gentlemen:

If you have something to say - include your name. Don't hide behind some alias. Be man enough to say what you have to say and let us know who you are. You may disagree with some of the comments that have been posted, however, these individuals have a right to speak their mind, as do you. Give us the courtesy of letting us know who the comments are coming from. If you are embarrased by, or uncomfortable about your comments, to the point that you have chosen not to include your name, odds are, you probably shouldn't be posting what you don't want to be associated with. My recommendation to the Executive committee is to add an amendment to the J/80 Class Association Constitution that would clearly bind all class members to a a set of class rules that would govern individual conduct and behavior, and that would give the Executive Committee the power and authority to rid the class of indiduals whose conduct and behavior undermines the the J/80 Class. No warnings. You know the rules. If you can't live by them, you are out. Now, be man enough and post the same message with your correct name.

Postby Guest » Fri Feb 15, 2002 11:59 am

I was not at key West but would be interested in the meeting minutes. As far as wild hardware for J80's being purchased from Layline it could be from the owners of three new boats here in Austin. They are currently placing orders for a lot of stuff to finsih out their J80's.

I have a set of "Lopez blocks" on my J80. I also have tapered spin sheets with a snap shackle that I ordered as specified in Martin Kalds article on commissioning his J80.

Back to the Lopez blocks and jib sheets. I use class minimum sheets. The jib is rigged as follows: Sheet is tied at the base of the jib block ran through the clue cringle back through the block continues back to the Lopez block across the cockpit (Its a continuous sheet) and repeated on the other side. Read the layline catalog to understand how it is used. My crew has recently decided not to do the 2:1 set up through the jib cringle as it simply isn't an advantage at least in 15 knot winds or below. I'm not up with the leaders (yet) but I don't think this rigging will give anybody an undue advantage as tacking a j80 successfully is going to have to do more with the helmsman trimming the main and the jib trimmer fine tuning the sheet the last couple of inches. Do I like this configuration? Yes it works great but a lot of boats beat me that do not have this configuration.

It originated in the J24 class for the big genoas but I believe they use it for all head sails. I hope that it is legal but if it isn't I will remove them. I have read the rules numerous times and do not see a ruling on rigging in this manner. Can I use a 3:1 purchase on my jib halyard in lieu of a cabin top winch? Seems like I should be able to and I prefer that instead of a winch.

I want my boat to be class legal and in compliance with local, state, and federal regulations. As such I have all of the equipment required by the class and the safety equipment required by law on board. I hope that we all strive to abide by the rules. And as Martin says if we have questions lets ask and include our names. Other forums such as the J105 class have lively and healthy discussions on what rule interpretations/changes should be done for the BENEFIT of the class.

When we have questions/exceptions lets figure out what the appropriate solution should be. This class has the potential to grow dramatically over the next few years and we need to all work together to make that happen in a positive fun way. The boats the most fun I've ever had sailing and so far the Southern circuit and the people have been fantastic. Its why we have big fleets in Houston, Ft. Worth and now Austin. Fleets are starting on three different lakes in Dallas, Canyon, and Corpus. Please keep it positive and fun!

Postby Guest » Sat Feb 16, 2002 8:31 am

I noticed there is some disussion regarding the turning blocks on the jib.
The J/80 fit in between the category of sportboats which could operate without winches, but uses 2:1 sytems on halyards and sheets.
I removed my winches and it works well even in strong winds.
The commitee will have to consider pro and cons of dinghy style rigging and I for one believe the boat is ideally suited to such rigging technics. It makes the manouves a lot faster. The boat is certainly capable of this approach, however the member need to carefully look at the long term implications.

Most importantly early clear rulings can help as most sailors just want to know what on or not.
The rules will always be challenged by inovators and a good committee will have the courage to adopt changes which are in the long term interest.
I know it is O/D but good upgrade will keep the boat attractive in years to come for new people to the class.
So be kind to the inovators, they force you to put you thinking hat on and guide the class on a growth path.

Bob von Felten

Postby Guest » Mon Apr 29, 2002 12:47 pm

Clarify please:

Rules state anchor and chain of at least 6.0 kg. Does this mean the anchor and chain together must weigh 6.0 kg? The anchor must weigh 6.0 kg? The anchor and the chain each must weigh 6.0 kg?

Rule needs to be re-worded to clarify.

Thanks,
Tim Wolf
Roadkill #538

Postby Guest » Mon Apr 29, 2002 2:34 pm

I believe the combined weight of the anchor and chain together is to be at least 6 kg.

Postby Guest » Mon Apr 29, 2002 7:46 pm

Sounds good, an official ruling anyone?

Postby Guest » Tue Apr 30, 2002 12:52 am

Chris is correct. Combined weight must be at least 6kg

Return to Archived Class Rules Discussions