US / European J80s

posting disabled

Moderator: forumadmin

Postby Guest » Tue Jul 27, 2004 5:46 am

I ask this question with some uncertainty as to what replies I might get. But here goes, "Are there any differences between US built J80s and French built J80s?".

I am assuming that different manufactures will be used for fittings etc I am also assuming they will similar in spec. What about the design, are the build specs the same?

To be really controversial, is one better than the other (yes I know that they are supposedly the same boat from the same class but....is this really so?)

In advance I thank you for your comments.

Simon

Postby Guest » Tue Jul 27, 2004 12:50 pm

Simon,
There are differences between the French (J/Composite)and USA (TPI) built boats. I don't think any of them are significant since boats from both sources have been successfully campaigned.

The biggest difference is in the mast. USA boats use masts from Hall Rigging and the French boats use Sparcraft masts. I believe there might be differences in the extrusion but I am not sure what they are. I know the standing rigging is totally different. USA boats have 7/32" uppers, 3/16" intermediates and 5/32" lowers. French boats have 5mm uppers and lowers and 4mm intermediates. 5mm is similar to 3/16" and significantly smaller than 7/32. The combination of a different mast section and standing rigging probably has minimal performance effect, but it does impact the tuning guides. Nearly all the sailmakers have a different tuning guide for the two boats.
There are other small differences that caused some flareups. The French boats have shorter stanchions thus lower lifelines and the lifeline passes through the bow pulpit. Some USA boat owner cried this was unfair since they felt the crew can hang out farther on French boats. I believe the class recently changed the rul allowing USA boats to saw down their stanchions...I wouldn't waste my time. Beyond that, there is not many differences.
You might asked why the masts and there rigging are different at all. I did ask the question and was told that at the time it was done, it was done at the beginning of production prior to the class and before even the thought of being an international class with World championships. J/Composite was interested in building a European version, but wanted to use off the shelf European parts to save money. So that's what they did!
Terry

Postby Guest » Tue Jul 27, 2004 3:22 pm

I agree with Terry. The French boats have little performance difference from the USA boats. The rigging is harder to tune and the non skid on the JComposite boats will eat your foulies up. We have actually had to sand it down to avoid ripping clothes.

The only other difference not said is the companionway step.

Steve
LeGlide #407

Postby Guest » Fri Jul 30, 2004 11:01 am

Thank you all for your replies, I have found a US built J80 in Europe. Compatability from what you are saying is not a big issue.

Postby Guest » Mon Aug 02, 2004 4:56 pm

How does the class feel if a person charters a boat for the Worlds and does not own a boat, And where does the Host get the right to change the By-Laws of a Worlds event from a Members event to a Open event I think we have a problem here. Why is it the Europeons change boats design and rules to fit there fancy. If my facts are true and correct it seams to me that Kerry Klinger and Robert Miller and CREW are the NEW WORLD CHAMPIONS of 2004 and some heads need to roll. This class will not stay together if the bias continues in Europe, I may as well sell my boat becuase this is not sailing to the rules I sail by.

Postby Guest » Tue Aug 03, 2004 7:59 am

David,

Are you saying that the guy who won the Worlds is not a MEMBER (as defined in Class Rule C.2.3)?

Postby Guest » Tue Aug 03, 2004 8:30 am

As long as he is not employed in the sailing industry all he has to do is pay his class dues and he meets the requirements under c.2.3 (c)
I dont believe we should shut our doors to outsiders but in big events they should only be allowed a charter after all owners that are intrested have been satisfied. Thats what they boy's in Fort Worth did last year. We were offered 6 boats for the U.S. and we only used 4 of them.The boats were made available for any owners that wanted one. I don't see how this should be a conflict. They did what they had to do in the last race to win, we just didn't (Get er Done).......There are some rule interpetations between the European and U.S. that need to be cleaned up and polished but all in all I think what we are doing is working well. My hats off to the Swede's for putting an event together that produced 56 boats......although some of them need to study rule 10 a little closer....

Robert Miller

Postby Guest » Tue Aug 03, 2004 9:15 pm

Clarifications/Corrections. Robert-last year for the 2003 Worlds we only chartered to "bonafide" J80 owners. Part of the charter requirements was for an owner to submit paperwork that verified they were indeed the owner of a J80. This was accomplished by the 2003 NOR, paragraph 4: "Only bonafide owners may charter for this event". The 2004 NOR paragraph 2.1 states "The person in charge on board shall be a member of his/her national class authority or affiliated organizations.

The philosophy that was used for the 2003 worlds is that we wanted competitors that provide support for the class, ie; in the form of boat ownership and participation in their local events. We had several inquiries from rock star sailors that wanted to charter a boat and crash the party. As an officer of the class we will do what the class wants. My personal opinion is that we should limit our events to the people that are committed to the class. However the NOR for 2004 appears to meet ISAF requirements for the class.

Scott Spurlin

Return to Archived Class Rules Discussions