French Boats

posting disabled

Moderator: forumadmin

Postby Guest » Tue Mar 01, 2005 3:29 pm

Craig,
How about this wording:

For an event,

1. A competitor shall only inventory on the boat one mainsail, one headsail, and two gennakers

2.A competitor shall only use one gennaker per race unless during that race sail has been lost or damaged to the point where it cannot be effectively repaired while afloat

3.A competitor may replace the mainsail or headsail during an event only when the sail has been lost or damaged to the point where the competitor cannot effectively repair the sail. Any replacement sail must be comparable in age, design and usage

Postby Guest » Wed Mar 02, 2005 12:50 am

Just a thought. The J 105 class talked about having a " distinct" mark for a backup kite. This would be either a tag or inked marking to show a backup kite while up..

Postby Guest » Wed Mar 02, 2005 12:15 pm

The only problem I see with tagging one of the sails is that today's replacement sail in light air building to heavy conditions may be tomorrow’s primary sail if the heavy air drops back to light. If I read the intent of the previous notes correctly the intent is that we would be able to swap kites within a regatta to accommodate changing conditions but not during any specific race. I would think a simple prohibition against changing would suffice and let the participants self police from the water.
If however we decide to mark the sails I would recommend a 3" H or L be affixed to the tack of the sail with sail tape. It would be easy to retrofit for existing sails and not too ugly either. In fact it might even help the cockpit crew to hook up the correct kite in the first place. Otherwise I support Craig's amendment as modified by Terry on March 1st.
Cheers,
Jeff

Postby Guest » Thu Mar 03, 2005 12:16 pm

First, let me say that I remain opposed to a two spinnaker rule.

That said, let me ask: How is the problem of differentiating the two kites and policing the swapping between them any different than the current situation? If the two spinnakers are not identical, why complicate with additional markings?

If they look the same, we currently trust each other to do the right thing. I like it better that way.

Postby Guest » Sat Mar 05, 2005 10:47 am

John Storch sent me a note regarding these issues. For some reason he was unable to get posted on the Forum so I have copied here for all the read.

Craig

For some reason I cannot access the class Forum as a writer - I can only
read. Accordingly I am commenting on your proposed rule changes. I note
that Greg Buck proposed some wording on the sails allowed in an event.
The section about replacing a damaged sail could be simplified by
getting Jury permission for the substitution of equipment. This is
routinely done in the Opti class when a sailor damages some piece of
equipment. Specifically, at Key West in 03 we tore our main from leech
to luff on the way in after racing when a squall blew through. I had to
scramble to get the locals to do a major repair overnight that was a
complete waste of money. It would have been easier to use an old main
that we had in our trailer box. The way the current proposal reads, one
would be forced to repair "if it is repairable'. Giving the decision to
the Jury allows reasonable substitution.

I completely support the idea of two chutes that can be used in an event
as Greg has proposed ( one per race).

Best Regards,

John

Postby Guest » Sun Mar 06, 2005 12:12 am

Hey Guys, Let's just keep it simple we check in 2 kites use what ever you want when you want... If someone wants 2 shapes then have it..... The purpoes of 2 kites is to save the lite air kites. To keep the sails the same have a rule where both kites have to have the same total area(min-max). The only reason to have diffrent shapes is for lighter air where you want a smaller flater sized reacher shape. This will keep them close enough that shapes should stay close to the same.....Then we use what we want.

Postby Guest » Mon Jun 13, 2005 9:52 am

We used an experimental rule this past weekend at the Corpus Christi circuit stop, and it worked perfectly. The SI's modifed the class rule so that if the winds were over 20 knots the RC would fly a flag allowing boats to switch spinnakers if desired even if the first spinnaker was not damaged. Since Sat was 15 knots and Sun was 20-25, it allowed everyone to fly their best kites on Sat knowing that if it was windy on Sun they could change to their older and/or heavier sail and preserve their good sail. I would strongly encourage using this as a model for revising the class rules.

Postby Guest » Tue Jun 14, 2005 8:05 am

W shoulde adopt and use the 20mph wind rule for the Texas Circuit until it becomes, if ever, a class rule.

Postby Guest » Tue Jun 14, 2005 8:09 am

Agree 100%

Postby Guest » Tue Jun 14, 2005 2:56 pm

Agreed 100% The flag system allowed us to work the boat as hard as possible without putting equipment in jeopardy. Let's get this written into the rules.

Previous

Return to Archived Class Rules Discussions