Crew Weight Limits

posting disabled

Moderator: forumadmin

Postby Guest » Mon Nov 07, 2005 7:39 pm

It's my understanding that our European friend's will not forgo a change in the current weight limit of 745 lbs. However I do not see the tie between the Southern Circuit,SC, and the Worlds. The Worlds will come & go and SC will stay here hopefully. I think you make the changes to support the area fleets. I don't know if crew weight changes will increase boat activity for sure or not. I can tell you for sure USA #44 would have made the last 4 circuit races if weight was 800lbs Personally the weight limit has forced me to lose 55 lbs which is a good thing, however I would support the owner/driver rule that Dave H discussed earlier in this thread.

Postby Guest » Mon Nov 07, 2005 10:49 pm

To: Unregistered guest are you a boat owner?

Will you stand up and introduce yourself?

Postby Guest » Mon Nov 07, 2005 11:07 pm

Why are trying to please the Europeons. If boats keep dropping out of the circuts we wont have a Class or Worlds. And yes when it's time for the Worlds or the NA's we will have to work around the 746lbs issue. I know that a lot of boats dont always have the same people from race to race as we would like. And my thought for the Corpus is to find 2 really big guys. I can think of one that sailed with us at the Fort Worth Worlds and he slimed down to 265 from 280 and I know I can get 1 more. So I plan on being will over 780-to 790. We will just have to play by the rules of the game to in adavntage.

Flame away Unreg. Guest

Postby Guest » Tue Nov 08, 2005 9:54 am

The last post in my name was made by someone else. I do not necessarily disagree with the posting, but don't appreciate others using my name. As for "Unregistered Guest", you make some valid points but if you want to be taken seriously you must identify yourself so that your comments can be put in context.
This same issue gets raised every year in the J-24 class with similar results. The heavy guys think the limit is too low and try to get it changed but it is nearly impossible in International classes given that Americans are usually the only ones to object. Deal with it, guys. The limit is not going to change and we need to comply with it all the time, at every event. It is not that hard to find lighter folks to balance out your heavyweights. Find a woman or junior sailor and integrate them into your team. They are great for sending forward if there is a snafu on the bow and they eat less!
That's my 2 cents...

Postby Guest » Tue Nov 08, 2005 12:57 pm

Dave, who was the guy that did middle for you in Austin in July. I believe you sailed with three people and placed in the top three. I think he's from the Dallas area. He seemed to be pretty good, how much did the three of you weigh in at.
Thanks,
JB

Postby Guest » Tue Nov 08, 2005 12:58 pm

OK- now that I have everyon'e attention, I will throttle back a bit.

1) When you bought the boat you knew the weight limit, presumably were OK with it. So IMHO, you can't complain. If your body type does not suit the boat, you should have gone into another class. That's the thing with sailing, there are differnet classes for different people. If Ben Ainsley wants to sail in the Star class, coming from Lasers, he understands he will need to bulk up...not lobby to change the class rules. The last thing sailing needs is every class to accomodate the same build, then the little guys complain, etc, etc.

2) Many of the boats in the circuit sail in other events (Worlds, NOODS, NA's ect), are you really going to ask them to have 2 seperate crews, one for the SC, and one for these other regattas. That is contrary to the whole idea of building a crew and using lower level regattas to prepare for the "big ones." Just silly!

3) Finally, changing the rule to add 2 more boats to the fleet, will in the long run cost more to the fleet. Do you want each circuit to start adopting their own rules? Why not allow for carbon sails as well, why not allow multiple sail purchases / per (in the SC only of course). The class is successful for two reasons- its OD and the people that buy the boat expect they are joining a OD class and all that comes with that.

Start messing with the rules and it all comes apart!

my 2cents

Postby Guest » Tue Nov 08, 2005 1:09 pm

Race Condition Used J80 ~ $38,000
New Set of Sails ~ $6,000
Travel Expenses ~ $2,000
Club Membership and Boat Maintenance ~ $3,000
Membership to a gym ~ $400
Dietetics ~ $30

Having sailed in 2006 circuit regattas leading up to the Worlds with the same crew your sailing with in Corpus Christi {2006 Worlds} ~ PRICELESS!!

Postby Guest » Tue Nov 08, 2005 10:57 pm

Don't 'cha just love that "unregistered guest" tellin' it like it is!

Postby Guest » Wed Nov 09, 2005 1:04 am

I see we have a few cowards posting on the forum.

There were 12 boats at Austin, 8 are signed up for the re-scheduled NOOD. If that is typical participation, it is about half of what it was when I left the class two years ago.

I'm sure there are more reasons for the decline than than just the weight issue being discussed here. I see lack of participation as a problem. If there is little interest in the boat and the class, the value of our boats drop. Perhaps the active class members are not concerned. If they are, we need to see what we can do to bring boats back onto the line.

I disagree with Chris, finding crew that fits within weight limits has been difficult. Its really bad if you have a light person to offset a heavier person, and then the light person can't make an event. The crew problem is worse at the back of the pack and with the newer boats/owners. Just the people we want to join in!

What about keepng the current rule and only weighing crews that finished in trophy space? If the crew is heavy, they DSQ. This keeps the front of the pack even and allows for growth at the back.

BTW, I said "we" since I am rejoining the class.

Steve Strout
6'2", 205 lbs, 33" waist
Ghost Dancing

Postby Guest » Wed Nov 09, 2005 2:42 am

You know good point. We did not weigh-in. I have been boycotting the scale for a while now. But were just under 700 between the 3 of us, we will be there at NOOD this weekend.
And to our guest. My wife and I bought DnA becuase I was getting tired of being told I couldn't drive any boats in Southern Calif PHRF.
I had no intrest in sailing OD at the time, having coming from 5 years of hardcore Cal 20 racing. I wanted to do long distance downhill sled rides and just have some fun doing 15-20 knots planning behind J 120's. Maybe I'll just go back to doing that!!!!!
At least I could sail with my Wife and friends and have FUN!!!!

Postby Guest » Wed Nov 09, 2005 11:34 am

Steve, good to see you joining us again. The only concern I have with the idea that you DSQ those that don't weigh in is; are they really racing OD? If my results are affected in anyway by a boat that does not weigh in {either by a foul, being consistingly tacked on, etc} especially in heavy air, was I really racing against a group of OD sailboats. I'm not against changing the wieght limit, I'm just against allowing people to break the existing rules, thats not good for the Class at any level.
Look, there isn't a sport out there where you can compete if you don't meet the class/sports' requirements...it would be like having a professional 285 lb football player playing for a local high school team; and after beating up on the kids from another school for four quarters he says "my bad, we'll disqualify ourselves from this game."

Postby Guest » Wed Nov 09, 2005 12:32 pm

The J80 is a one design boat...why on earth would you buy it as a PHRF boat?? There are better boats that cost roughly the same with better ratings....sounds pretty weak to me. Correct me if I wrong, its not considered a Cat 3 Offshore Racing boat, so you couldn't race it in point to point/long distance regattas.

Postby Guest » Wed Nov 09, 2005 2:45 pm

To Unregistered Guest: It is beyond obvious that you do not belong to our class because you are classless. I have raced in the NE and Texas and the J80 class members are some of the classiest sailors I have competed against (on and off the water). Get off our website or acknowledge yourself. This is not Saling Anarchy. We respect each other!!
Sorry for the Intrusion,
Kristen Robinson
P.S. Angry Chameleon with be competing in Texas again next year and are bummed we couldn't make the NOOD's, but we had repairs that needed to be done. Since we only make about half the Texas regattas, we attend the same number of events regardless of what weight limit you impose.

Postby Guest » Wed Nov 09, 2005 4:09 pm

Angry Chameleon, Its good to get someone railed up.
1) I don't think I ever disputed if the individuals of the J80 class were or were not Classy??
2) Its good to hear that you will be attending some of the circuit regattas this year, and apparently you will be within Class weight {so you appear to agree with my comments below - thank you for your support}
3) As far as me acknowledging myself, I do own a J80 and do race it....so I am part of the class...and what makes you think that Unregistered Guest is not my legal name.

Postby Guest » Wed Nov 09, 2005 5:43 pm

UG,
I have a suggestion. Why don't we all get a life and just get back to sailing. And what this forum is setup for is constructive conversation. Why don't we all just come out of the closet and have a constructive discussion?
Or better yet we can all become unregistered guests/mastercard/visa/american express whatever your little heart desires and just bitch and complain without offering any viable solutions.

PreviousNext

Return to Archived Class Rules Discussions