Crew Weight Limits

posting disabled

Moderator: forumadmin

Postby Guest » Wed Mar 05, 2003 10:40 am

We sail a J/24 (US 4687) locally, regionally, and nationally. I have never heard of a 2% allowance on the weight limit, nor of letting crews sail overweight and requiring other boats to protest. When a crew is overweight one of three things generally happens: the whole crew put on foul weather gear and run off the weight before re-weighing, or they find another boat willing to swap a lighter crew member, or they sail with one less crew. (There is never any question of not sailing.)

Postby Guest » Wed Mar 05, 2003 4:36 pm

I fully acknowledge that I could be completely deluded about what the J24 do. It sure seems like a reasonable and friendly interpretation though.

Since the rule regarding weight applies to "racing" not "the day before racing", I consider bonking by dehydrating cheating. You can weigh my crew anytime from when we walk onto the docks until we walk off the boat at the end of the day. We will make weight. (I can't vouch for after dinner and drinks). I also consider swapping crew like baseball cards unfair to my friends and detrimental to the team concept. I guess I am a victim of my own ethics.

OTOH, I've convinced myself that with the exception of the spring windfest in Houston, a little light is better than a little heavy. I am working to a target weight of 725.

If Chris is correct about performance of a point 6 vesus a .75. We should all consider normally flying a heavier chute and carrying a light sail for the light air days, instead of what we do now. I don't think that warrants a rule change.
My new chute (which might get measured in at Austin) was built expecting fall october winds at FWBC. It has some AIRX 700 material and hopefully will be more error tolerant than a pure .6 oz.

Cheers
Steve

Postby Guest » Wed Mar 05, 2003 4:40 pm

The J/80 class rules only allow one new spinnaker purchase per year. So therefore, top flight boat owners will not be showing up with multiple new sails at each event. The new sails they race with at Key West will have used again at the NAs in September and the Worlds in October.

Each year, these boat owners will have to choose what they want to purchase and live with it the whole year or use there old sails. The point is that nearly every boat carries two spinnakers on the boat and if it blowing over 25 knots, I would like to be able to use my old spinnaker rather than waste my new one. If I had been at Key West or at the Houston regatta and it is blasting, I might consider not flying the spinnaker to save in order to save it for the Worlds unless I was in the top few positions!
Terry Burke
TopNotch #405

Postby Guest » Wed Mar 05, 2003 8:34 pm

With respect to a comment made by Steve "...My new chute (which might get measured in at Austin..."

I was told that the only approved measurer of sails was a Doyle sailmaker in Houston. All sails need to be shipped there and back (at the owner's expense) to be measured.

Does anyone know if this is true?

Postby Guest » Thu Mar 06, 2003 9:13 am

The Doyle loft in Houston does have templates for measuring jibs and mains. I think Karl has transported these templates with him to other locations in the past. I think spinnakers are measured without a template.
Karl?

Postby Guest » Thu Mar 06, 2003 11:06 am

Chris B.
Have you contacted Karl DeHam about getting your spinnaker measured? This is the route you need to take. Did you have the chute in Houston? Asking Karl what you need to do is the format. Just for entertainment here on this thread, what is the weight of the cloth? Is it a .6 oz or a .75 oz? What did you choose? What did your sailmaker suggest?

Craig White

Postby Guest » Fri Mar 07, 2003 8:19 pm

Frances Egan was right. I misunderstood what I was told about the J24s.

I still like the concept that we don't get overly caught up in any rule & have some tolerance mechanisms.

Steve

Postby Guest » Mon Sep 06, 2004 10:05 am

Can anyone tell me if there is a provision that exempts the weight of a crew member under the age of 16? I thought that I had run across this, but can't find it now.

Thank you,
W. Robb Graham
Mjolner "Thor's Hammer"
USA-174

Postby Guest » Tue Sep 07, 2004 9:52 am

The only way to exempt a 16 year old is to race with just 3 people. Class rules allow you to race with 3 people of unlimited size. If you go with 4 or more people all crew members must weigh-in.

You can sail with animals but they need to weigh-in and they must be ISAF Cat 1 Non Professionals.

Anyone out there ever think about racing with a crew of 8 Chimps. Think about it. Bananas are $.39 per pound and they don't drink much Crown. Diapers may put you over the edge.

Postby Guest » Tue Oct 25, 2005 10:03 am

Question to all Texas Circut sailors.
If we were to raise the crew weight limit to 800 lbs would you sail more in the next upcoming 2006 Southern Circut?

Postby Guest » Tue Oct 25, 2005 12:45 pm

A good way to pursue this is to add a rule change in the 2006 Notice of Cicuit for the Southern Circuit allowing for 800lbs of crew. Of course this means that the Worlds and Nationals will be at the 746.5lbs limit and may cause aggravation when trying to practice for big events.

However it seems like a good way to re-spark the participation for our 6 race Southern Circuit.

If attendence does not pick up next year, we can remove the exemption and try something else.

Your opinions are needed, so please chime in.

Chris

Postby Guest » Tue Oct 25, 2005 2:17 pm

How many boats showed up for Austin this past weekend?? What were the results / crew weights?

Postby Guest » Wed Oct 26, 2005 8:17 am

This has been tried before. In fact several years ago we raced one seaon with a limit of 800 lbs and I compiled crew weight data for the entire circuit season and it was inconclusive. We took a vote and concluded that there was only one boat racing that would cease participating if forced to comply with the class weight limit (that boat has since been sold). In my opinion, it does not make sense to run a high profile event like the Southern Circuit while clearly violating a class rule.

Postby Guest » Wed Oct 26, 2005 9:44 am

Chris, Have you taken or compiled data recently,
I know of boats that have stopped racing and sold there boat becuase it is to difficult to get a crew to weigh in. Everyone straving themselves to make weight. If I remember correctly the class increased the the limit to 800 for class development. And when the class was reconized by ISAF the 745 lbs rule was then used.
I for one have been limited to racing with a crew of 3 and I dont like leaving my wife on the dock. With only 12 boats showing up at events when it should be 20 like it was in years past, why not try it again? Do you think it will hurt the class or help?
I think if you ask any owner who weighs more that 190lbs that they will agree with me.

Postby Guest » Wed Oct 26, 2005 10:01 am

Regarding crew weight,

I can tell the guys in the Texas area that if the crew weight for the Southern Circuit was 800 lbs in 2005 you would have had at least one more boat racing "KICKS". I also believe some of the boats being sold in the TEXAS area would more like stay in this area. We have stuggled to make the weight limit at 745 and look foward to the team finally making weight at the NOOD. We will see you on the Southern Circuit in 2006!

Just an idea perhaps a 1 year pass for new boat owners at 800 lbs in the southern circuit. That gives a team one year to learn the boat and get in shape!!!

PreviousNext

Return to Archived Class Rules Discussions