Great Lakes Fleet

Class Association Business

Moderator: forumadmin

Postby derek_jackson » Wed Dec 20, 2006 10:56 pm

How many boats would we have to get to Toronto for a OD start at the NOOD? Wonder if we could talk Kerry Klingler and a few others into comming. There's a J/80 in montreal also if I remember right.
derek_jackson

Postby Guest » Thu Dec 21, 2006 9:40 pm

I'll find out the number of boats required for a OD start and post the answer here. It will probably take me a few weeks to get the answer, due to the holidays.

[Posted by: D Vincent
]

Postby Guest » Thu Dec 21, 2006 11:25 pm

Traditionally, the NOOD organizers require a minimum of 6 boats to form a class. At times, that has been relaxed to 5 to enable boats to compete.

[Posted by: Steve Hammerman
]

Postby Guest » Wed Jan 10, 2007 10:23 pm

I verified Steve Hammerman's advice with the NOOD race officer today. 6 boats, may be relaxed to 5 minimum. May I please have a show of hands to see who is interested, to determine if this is worth pursuing. If so, I will make every effort I can to ensure its success.

For those unfamiliar, the host club RCYC was chosen by the NOOD organizers as the first and only Canadian site for a NOOD for good reason. It is Canada's largest and premier sailing club, in an idylic setting on Toronto island, a short ferry ride away from Canada's financial centre. In my experience, first time American visitors are always impressed with our facility. The race crew is excellent.

For those within driving distance of Toronto but lacking the muscle to haul your J-80 here, I will volunteer my 3/4 ton Suburban for the job where feasible.

[Posted by: Dave Vincent
]

Postby Guest » Wed Jan 10, 2007 11:47 pm

Dates of 2007 Toronto NOOD June 22-24

[Posted by: Dave Vincent
]

Postby Guest » Sat Jan 13, 2007 3:26 pm

Well I'll be darned, there are folks up here sailing 80s! Up until this June I was sailing my 80 out of Ft Worth Boat Club in Texas and enjoying 10-20 boat starts and a solid one design racing experience. Having grown up in Detroit and sailed around the Lakes in years past I was really excited to bring the boat up to Bayview YC in Detroit and do some sailing up here as the boat sails extremely well in these conditions. Given the amount of postings here I think we may have the beginnings of a decent circuit starting. Not sure if a full blown travel schedule will work for this year but perhaps we can pick a couple of events and get the ball rolling. By my count we have 5 boats in the area responding to these postings so let's pick a race or two and negotiate a start. It looks as if the Tonto NOOD has some traction here and if there is interest I would be happy to look into acting as Class coordinator for the Detroit NOOD event if there is interest. As for the traveling aspect of the boat I was pretty active on the Southern Circuit over the last two years and would be happy to share any tips I have learned from the folks in Texas. I also would be willing to help folks hauling boats, stepping masts etc if it will get boats on the water. Let's keep the dialog going and see where things lead. Exciting stuff!
Cheers,
Jeff Bodkin
USA 483
Dolphin
email = ugot2regatta@yahoo.com

PS If we get a start for the NOODS I expect to see Bernie Nauta and Chris Morlan up here. Lodging and drinks available at my house!

[Posted by: Jeff Bodkin
]

Postby Guest » Mon Jan 15, 2007 9:52 am

Hmmm.
Drinks?

[Posted by: Chris Morlan
]

Postby Guest » Mon Jan 15, 2007 1:39 pm

Of course! The new house has a great deck and is right on the canal, 4 houses off the lake. Plan on grilling AND drinks.

]

Postby Guest » Sun Jan 27, 2008 11:04 pm

I own #402 (Hijo Del Bandido) in Indianapolis. Trying to figure out a schedule that will keep everyone at home happy.

[Posted by: sailorbandido
]

Postby Guest » Tue Jan 29, 2008 12:18 am

Well it's 2008 and once again time to start regatta planning. If folks are interested I will again offer up the Detroit NOOD and was thinking that at least one date on Lake Michigan would be fun. Any interest in either the Verve Cup or Milwaukee Grand Prix events? Milwaukee has asked us to come and seems to be making a concerted effort to get the Regatta back to what it was. I saw several boats on the Key West Register from the Chicago and Wisconsin area. If you guys are willing to travel to Detroit for the NOOD I would be very willing to come out for one of those events and perhaps the Queens Cup as well. Let me know what you guys want to do this year and I'll help any way I can.
Cheers,
Jeff
Dolphin
Hull # 483

]

Previous

Return to Class Association Business