Spinnaker Halyard

Maintenance Topics

Moderator: forumadmin

Postby nikonsean » Tue May 30, 2006 11:33 am

Has anyone noticed that the RF460 is now dis-continued. I need a replacement and am having a devil of a time finding which new box will fit best.

Has anyone tried to replace the RF460 with a newer piece?
nikonsean

Postby Guest » Fri Aug 04, 2006 8:53 am

Seems like nobody uses this Forum anymore, but hopefully someone will read this anyway:
I have a problem with my spinnaker halyard. It runs through a lance cleat on the mast and back to a cleat on the cabin top. The problem is that after hoisting, the line hockles (twists itself into knots) terribly. No amount of flaking seems to get the line straightened out enough to come down cleanly, though trailing it behind the boat helps some (no ideal in a race situation).
I have tried three different halyards (stiff line, soft line, etc) and with and without a swiveling shackle. I have tried having the turning block fixed or free. Nothing seems to help. Have never even run a messenger line (always connect old and new halyards directly when replacing) so I can't see how the halyards could have gotten twisted in the mast. Seems to go up just fine (no friction). Have also replaced the sheave box (several years back).
Has anyone else had this problem? If so, what was the fix?

[Posted by: Chris Morlan
]

Postby derek_jackson » Sun Aug 06, 2006 9:31 pm

You're right Chris, it's too bad nobody uses this forum anymore. I've never had the problem with the halyard so I guess I'm no help....
DJ
derek_jackson

Postby nikonsean » Sat Aug 12, 2006 2:27 pm

Chris,

I have a similiar setup to you but haven't seen the problem with hockles. I use 6mm Crystaline. We often throw the free end in the water prior to dousing to slow the fall of the kite as well as keep the line running freely.

Sean
nikonsean

Postby thomas_arj » Mon Aug 14, 2006 9:47 am

Quote: "It runs through a lance cleat on the mast and back to a cleat on the cabin top."
Chris, do you have to uncleat twice to douse the chute?
We only use the cleat on the mast and drop the halyard in the cabin. When dropping the chute we always have someone guiding the halyard. When sailing shorthanded this can also be done by the helmsman. Even in racing condition it helps us to have uncomplicated mark roundings.
thomas_arj

Postby Guest » Mon Aug 14, 2006 5:54 pm

Lance cleat only holds the halyard until the slack is removed and the cabin top cleat is in use, at which time the lance cleat is uncleated. Our current technique involves flaking the tail with a bit of tension on it, which seems to reduce the hockling dramatically.

[Posted by: Chris Morlan
]

Postby jackal » Thu Oct 05, 2006 12:20 pm

We have no problems with the spin halyard. It isn't led aft, but simply has a double clam cleat where it exits the mast. Its really simple. Hoist through the grippers - it goes up very smoothly - and douse by yanking it out of the clams. The halyard never gets snarled. (Now we just have to manage not to broach all the time!). I guess 'less is more' on a J80. Mine has nothing by way of creature comfort. The jib halyard is held by a clam cleat as well - although I am thinking of changing that as I cant get a really tight tension. However, the backstay sorts that in a blow.
www.teamjackal.com
jackal

Return to Maintenance Topics