Archive through August 25, 2001

Maintenance Topics

Moderator: forumadmin

Postby Guest » Fri Aug 24, 2001 6:22 am

As prospective owner, I have enjoyed the exchange on this form. Some questions . . .

Recognizing that class rules dictate output of outboard motor and further dictate its placement when not in use, how have experienced J/80 owners dealt with the following:

1. Does anyone use an outboard bracket (such as Hall, etc?) If so, is anyone aware of a bracket that would be suitable for a J/80 but not require permanent installation via holes in the transom?

2. If you do not use an outboard bracket, does repeated installation and removal of the motor damage or mar the reinforced area of the transom? (If not, what steps do you take to avoid damage to this area?)

3. How do you secure the motor when not in use? Design of the area aft of the companionway ladder would seem to permit too much lateral movement if the motor were merely placed there.

4. Recognizing that it does not meet class rules, is anyone using the Honda 2 hp 4 stroke? For short distance, to and from the slip, does it get the job done? And how much work was needed to permit the clamps to fit over the transom (as suggested in a prior posting?) What material was routered out of the motor clamp to make it fit, and how was this done?

5. Any comments on use of rigid vangs or kickers?

I really appreciate any comments. Thanks.

Postby Guest » Fri Aug 24, 2001 9:20 am

I have championed the 2 horse Honda in the past, and I still use it. Advantages are (1) only weighs 35 lbs, (2) 4-stroke is much smoother, (3) very reliable (its a Honda, after all), and (4) more efficient. However, you cannot motor long distances with it. Off the mooring and a half mile out to the race course is it. If you consistently need to motor longer distances, especially in heavier seas, you will need something bigger. Also, the internal tank only carries enough gas for short distances, so you may need to carry some additional fuel on board.

There is no class racing in my area so I leave the engine on the transom all the time. Therefore I do not have the wear-and-tear you are concerned about. With the 2-horse, you will need to router some material out of the friction plate, which makes it less stout, so you may want to look carefully at that if you are going to be taking the engine on and off often. The router job is easy; we just set up a jig and took out about half the thickness. A new friction plate is cheap (if not free), so nothing to worry about.

The only brackets I could find were the through hull type, so I rejected them.

In my experience, any outboard engine on this boat is at best an annoyance. This boat just is not made to be pushed long distances with a motor. So I use it very minimally. By the way, most of the Melges 24s out our club also use the small Honda (but they displace only 1800 lbs).

Postby Guest » Fri Aug 24, 2001 11:34 am

Is your Honda 2 hp the long shaft model or will the regular shaft work given the relatively low mounting point?

Postby Guest » Fri Aug 24, 2001 1:07 pm

1. Motor is very accessible and easily tipped up out of the water without a mount. There is the potential problem of hitting the prop with the rudder, however, which can be avoided by one of several methods.
2. To avoid the damage you describe, I had a very thin stainless plate made is a "U" shape which fits over the transom. Seems effective so far. Cannot use anything thick as the clamps barely fit over the transom now.
3. I had a heavy padded canvas bag made that zips over the entire motor. I lay the bagged motor under the cockpit and it only moves in heavy seas and even then does not cause any harm due to the padding. For casual racing, I just leave it on the transom (tipped up, of course).
4. For safety reasons, I think it makes sense to have a motor on board that will get you home in adverse conditions (high winds and/or waves). A 2 hp does not fit that description.
5. Rigid vang is great - keeps the boom up in light air and also supports the boom when the main is not up without the need for a topping lift.
Good luck - you will love the 80!

Postby Guest » Sat Aug 25, 2001 8:34 am

I thought Kerry Klinger's solution was a good one for storage below. See his "Purchase Project" pics on the home page.

Postby Guest » Sat Aug 25, 2001 10:34 am

You must have the long shaft, if you mount without a bracket. I reluctantly agree with the statements about safety and a larger motor. But I still think this boat was not built for extensive motoring. So if you race or cruise close to where you keep the boat, there should be no safety problem at all (if not, use the trailer). I have seen individual sailors and whole racing schools that never put any motor on their J/80s. The safety issue arises if one ventures far from port or in conditions that are unfavorable.

Postby Guest » Sat Aug 25, 2001 2:12 pm

Around Tampa Bay racing venues are hours apart so 3 hours to Clearwater, 6 hours to Davis Island, 3hours to Bradenton or St Pete is typical. Lifts are generally not available.

I got rid of the little 2 cycle Nissan that came with the '99 J-80 package and got the 4 cycle 5hp Nissan.

This motor weighs in at 55 lbs. but makes these trips a pleasure. The J-80 motors as well as it sails with this motor and maintains hull speed.

We have a couple passes that have stiff tidal currents too so the 5hp is right for that.

I stow with a bracket like Kerry Klingers and recommend it.

Return to Maintenance Topics