Archive through December 05, 2005

Maintenance Topics

Moderator: forumadmin

Postby Guest » Mon May 02, 2005 7:01 am

hey all - i have a 2002 j80 hull #544 with 2 seasons in a freshwater lake. the boat has serious gel coat crachs radiating from the trailing edge of the keel all the way up above the waterline. the boat has never been grounded, and there does not seem to be any major cracking in the keel grid inside.

i 'expect' the cracks in the deck, but underwater gel coat cracks... should i be freaking about this on a 'new' boat?

jonathan

[Posted by: jonathan couture
]

Postby Guest » Mon May 02, 2005 9:38 am

You should have a crack develop only between the keel stub and the keel, which is horiszontal to the hull about 10" down, if it is somewhere else i suggest you take it to the boat yard and have it looked at.

[Posted by: uzi ozeri
]

Postby Guest » Mon May 02, 2005 2:55 pm

Definitely not normal!
The boat has either been run aground or damaged during lifting or trailering. Get it looked at right away bt a professional.

[Posted by: Chris Morlan
]

Postby Guest » Mon Dec 05, 2005 11:51 am

Dont look for help from TPI or J Boats. They say this is normal and comes at no extra charge.

Both told me that it is only in the Gelcoat and should not effect the proformance of the boat and water would not get to the fiberglass.

To repair this so a bottom could be put back on the boat all the gelcoat was peeled off the entire bottom of the boat. My hull # is 205 so clearly they have not resolved the problem yet. Mabey that is why they are being made in France now.

[Posted by: Steve Coneys
]

Return to Maintenance Topics