Foot Brace

Maintenance Topics

Moderator: forumadmin

Postby Guest » Tue Jan 16, 2007 3:46 pm

The plastic foot brace in the aft end of the cockpit
is chipped and broken and keeps getting worse. Anyone know of a a product that would simply go over the original and be affixed to the cockpit floor with some type of adhesive (?5200)

[Posted by: Ken Lury
]

Postby Guest » Thu Jan 18, 2007 4:55 pm

Try a lexan cutting board from Target. Just jig saw it to measurement and then apply with 5200 or epoxy. I would then get some skateboard grip tape for non skid.

[Posted by: Steve LeMay
]

Postby Guest » Fri Jan 19, 2007 9:34 am

Good advice on the cutting board. They are actually made of UHMW (ultra high molecular weight polyethylene). It will eventually degrade due to UV exposure, but is cheap to replace.

[Posted by: Chris Morlan
]

Postby Guest » Fri Jan 19, 2007 2:22 pm

I don't understand exactly you mean re the installation Could you be more specific for a very tool and handy challenged person.

]

Postby Guest » Mon Jan 22, 2007 9:41 am

I think Steve is suggesting you obtain some UHMW, either from a plastic supplier or in the form of cutting boards from Target and cut it to the same dimensions as the foot brace (could be made in two or more pieces to get the right length). Then attach them to the cockpit sole using 3M5200 or some other high strength adhesive.

[Posted by: Chris Morlan
]

Postby Guest » Mon Jan 22, 2007 10:02 am

Thanks for the clarification. I guess no matter what I need to remove the vertical portion of the remaining brace.
How about using a teak or plastic handrail with screws and 5200 ?

]

Postby Guest » Thu May 03, 2007 3:44 pm

Finally found perfect solution at Home Depot.
PVC molding ~2inches wide x 1 inch high.
~$10 for 10 feet. Has channel down center on bottom so will fit over existing mess.

]

Postby derek_jackson » Tue May 22, 2007 11:15 pm

We recently had the chainplates done on our boat due to wet core. We also had the transom rebuilt as there was some cracking evident, but the one thing we were not expecting was moisture in the cockpit floor where the foot brace is. One of the screws that held it down were missing.... we had the wet core removed in the floor and then instead of having a new brace put in, the guy laid a foam strip and glassed over it. It looks pretty slick and will never leak again!
derek_jackson

Postby Guest » Sun Aug 05, 2007 9:46 pm

<a href="">student loan bankruptcy</a> <a href="">car insurance quote australia</a> <a href="">private student college loans no cosigner</a> <a href="">coverage health insurance quote</a> <a href="">best auto insurance</a>

[Posted by: barbara
]

Return to Maintenance Topics