New Buyer Questions

Maintenance Topics

Moderator: forumadmin

Postby Guest » Tue Feb 20, 2007 2:15 pm

Hey everyone, I got an email today from someone who is looking at buying an 80. He had two questions which I decided to put out here to get the most feedback. Post your answers and I'll forward the info to him.

Thanks
Brian

1) The boat is in very good condition (hull, sails, etc.) but the owner tells me that there is a little water in the balsa on the port shrowd. My understanding is that 1993 and 1994 boats were not made using the new methods (SCRIMP), hence I am somewhat worried that this could be a big rather than a small problem.

2) Also, is there a good market for resale of a used J80 for earlier boats or do these babies take a year to sell ?

[Posted by: angry_chameleon
]

Postby Guest » Tue Feb 20, 2007 6:01 pm

I think just about every old boat has had some wetting of the balsa core around the chainplates. Its nearly impossible to seal as there is relative motion between the chainplate and the deck. The repair involves digging out as much of the wet balsa as possible and sealing the space vacated by the balsa with epoxy and filler. Its a cheap and easy repair. My boat is #82, built in April 94. If it was not built Scrimp, I can't tell the difference compared to other boats.

As for time on the market - that is probably more a function of price than anything else.

[Posted by: Bob Lemaire
]

Postby Guest » Wed Feb 21, 2007 4:19 pm

1. This problem should be fairly easy to fix.
2. Boats with hull numbers less than 100 (or thereabouts) were pre-SCRIMP. They tend to be lighter than SCRIMP hulls but may contain small voids (mine did).
3. I recently sold my 1994 boat (hull 45). Took about a month to sell. There is a good resale market, assuming you price them right.

[Posted by: Chris Morlan
]

Postby sdbob » Tue Apr 24, 2007 10:02 pm

Try selling in Texas. I believe the biggest US fleet is there. We bought our boat out of San Antonio. I'm very stoked on the boat.

From what I hear the class is growing around the country right now. We just got another boat in the San Diego fleet a couple weeks ago. There was a regatta recently (that I didn't know about) at ABYC (Long Beach, CA). I heard there was a good fleet of J80s, from my friend that was on a J109, wishing he was on an 80. Haha.
sdbob

Postby Guest » Sun Jul 22, 2007 5:48 am

<a href="">mortgage calculator extra payment</a> <a href="">payroll loans</a> <a href="">disability insurance fraud</a> <a href="">compare auto insurance quote</a> <a href="">refinance loan home mortgage rate calculator</a>

[Posted by: john
]

Postby tomdeslong » Tue May 05, 2009 11:15 am

i am just wondering if any one can help me? i need to put together a small tool box for a j/80 and i am wondering what are the minimal things you would put in?
tomdeslong

Postby Guest » Thu May 07, 2009 4:31 pm

Bolt Cutter, crescent wrench, screwdrivers, vice grip, sail repair tape and a couple blocks to replace any that break during a race. Thats about it.

[Posted by: angry_chameleon
]

Return to Maintenance Topics