Great Lakes Fleet

Class Association Business

Moderator: forumadmin

Postby derek_jackson » Sun Nov 19, 2006 3:44 pm

Is there anything left of the Great Lakes Fleet? The fleet captain Chuck Holzman has not sailed J/80's for quite a while as he sold his boat 4 years ago. It would be nice to get a roll call of Great Lakes boats and if there are enough boats to continue the fleet we should nominate a new fleet captain.
derek_jackson

Postby Guest » Tue Nov 21, 2006 10:21 pm

I'm here in Toronto, all alone! Hull # 267.

This website is disappointing because of lack of participation. The old website (not sponsored by the manufacturer) when I bought the boat (in 2000) was better.

Remove "x" before emailing

[Posted by: Dave Vincent
]

Postby derek_jackson » Tue Nov 21, 2006 10:27 pm

All alone here in Sarnia too.... sucks doesn't it. How do you do in PHRF in toronto?
derek_jackson

Postby Guest » Wed Nov 22, 2006 9:18 am

Well Dave, if you joined the class and became involved, you could maybe do something to help the website's perceived shortcomings. Steve Hammerman originated it and did an admirable job in the early years. It was a lot to ask of a volunteer. It is now left to the class officers to maintain with help from out webmaster, who originated the J105 site. I am certainly no computer geek and am happy for comments as to the flaws. Bernie Nauta

Postby Guest » Thu Nov 23, 2006 12:21 am

Derek, I race mainly Tuesday night club races. My club forbids the use of spinnakers for these races. We rate about 160 white sail, so we compete against some Laser 28s, an X33, a few CS36s, etc. It's fun, not too competitive.

Bernie - I am not sure of your role here. I have respect for Steve Hammerman who I think has contributed to the class and did not intend my comment to be critical of him.

If you do have some responsibility for this website, I suggest you should consider why this board is so infrequently used. I just checked and besides this thread, there are only six posts in the last week, half of which are junk posts. The other posts offer little useful information to the average J80 sailor. I frequent 4 or 5 other boards in other areas of interest which act as forums for lively exchanges of information. A good forum can greatly enhance the enjoyment of (and value of) a product like a boat or a car. This board does not, and never has, functioned in that way. I recall the old board did. My recollection is that this board replaced the old board, and one result was that all of the useful information in the old board was lost. I don't understand why. Perhaps you could explain.

I was a member of the class association for the first few years I owned the boat. However, I do not race my boat in one design because there are no other J-80's in my area. Lots of 105s and 24s. The class association is mainly concerned with matters of interest to J80 sailors in those few geographic concentrations of J80 fleets (like Texas) and offers little apparent benefit to people like me far away from those fleets.

That said, I do not understand the connection between membership in the class association and the infrequency of use of this board. My guess is that people don't use this board because they don't find it useful - not because they are not members of the class association.

]

Postby Guest » Thu Nov 23, 2006 10:50 pm

I think we should look at the available regattas and see if we can't arrange to meet somewhere. Youngstown? Toronto? I sail the eastern end of Lake Ontario. Oswego NY hosted a very cool All J regatta. There were no 80s but I plan to go next year. PHRF-lo rates me as 114 with a 150% and 120 OD.

gord cooke
262 quicker
http://s88508529.onlinehome.us/

[Posted by: gord
]

Postby derek_jackson » Thu Nov 23, 2006 11:26 pm

We rate the same here on lake Huron.
derek_jackson

Postby Guest » Fri Nov 24, 2006 6:56 pm

I have not heard of the Oswego J Regatta. Sounds interesting.

2 other suggestions:

1. The Toronto NOOD Regatta in June
2. CORK PHRF-One design keelboat regatta in Kingston (last summer was Aug 10-13). A well run regatta, good winds and there are some Olson 30s and Laser 28s which would be a good match for us.

]

Postby Guest » Sat Nov 25, 2006 8:16 pm

I have sailed at CORK for many years, crewing on a custom 37 footer. I am planning on sailing CORK this year in the J. Last year I was on the foredeck of a J/35 and watched the 4 Olsen 30s having a blast. There may be more of them this year.There was also a big fleet of J/24s sailing on a different course.

The Laser fleet has been dwindling but I have seen 12-15 in previous years.

So if you are up for that I'll see you there.

Tell me more about the Toronto NOOD

gord

[Posted by: gord
]

Postby Guest » Sat Nov 25, 2006 9:32 pm

Well Dave
If you go on the website and look at who is a member and the officers, you would see that I have had the "pleasure" of being the class secretary the past 2 years. I look forward to passing the baton to a younger member who is also probably more internet savvy. As far as the website is concerned, there was a point, probably during the time you mentioned as "better", that it became a forum for a lot of unproductive and silly invective that had no real productive purpose as far as the promotion of the J-80 as a one design class is concerned. That is when we decided to clean up a lot of the silly "junk" and make it a forum for legitimate concerns. If you'll notice, there are now 3 people engaged in a dialogue to re-inergize your Great Lakes Fleet. Now THAT is productive. As far as the connection of being a member, members are allowed to race in one-design regattas, not non-members. Also, the payment of the incredibly high member dues ($50 US- I know the pain, I was raised in Ontario) got you a great calender in "06 and will get you a great trailer hitch cover (see web site) next year. When placed it tandem with the camaraderie of membership in a group of great sailers, it' pretty good. Now if you want to just race PHRF, it is a noble enterprise, but that is one reason I gave up my Catalina years ago. My friends believe that "Friends don't let Friends sail PHRF". While I'm at it, if you really enjoy PHRF, I happen to have a real killer mylar genoa and HUGE roached mylar main (hardly used) that beat J-109's and J-105's in club events, that I will sell to you.

Postby derek_jackson » Sat Dec 02, 2006 10:58 pm

Hey Bernie what kind of money are you looking for for the mylar stuff? We race a lot of MORC and PHRF here as there is no OD close by. I may be intereted for the right price. If you have any pics my email is derek.jackson058@sympatico.ca
derek_jackson

Postby Guest » Mon Dec 18, 2006 12:03 pm

Derek, I just was looking at the nomination request for national board members and noticed your thread.

I have Hull #706 in Madison, WI along with #18, 51, 448 & 540 racing PHRF. Slowly we are trying to move OD but need a few more boats to join us.

It has been my experience that to have a fleet survive one person needs to drive it (or a small group of coordinated individuals). Let me know what I can do to help get the Great Lakes Fleet more focused.

[Posted by: Brian Louther
]

Postby derek_jackson » Tue Dec 19, 2006 12:22 am

Hi Brian. We are actually taking a long hard look at the U20 class as there are a few in our area and they are much easier to trailer around. As much as we love the 80 it almost doesn't make sense for us. We are actually looking at the U20 for OD racing and then a bigger boat for the Mac races.
derek_jackson

Postby usa706 » Tue Dec 19, 2006 2:01 am

Derek, I know what you mean about traveling to regattas, the J/80 is not trailer/launch friendly as the Ultimate 20 or the Melges 24. It is unfortunate that during the resurrection of the U20s the factory burnt down (with 5 new hulls in the barn).

The U20 is a good boat and reasonably priced, compared to the J/80 or M24 (price-wise are evenly matched). I have raced on all three and each has their sweet-spot. Both the U20 and M24 can dry-sail off a lift and trailer launch. When it blows over 25 knots the J/80 will keep its pointy end up (without a rock-star crew).

We only travel to one regatta a year, Key West and the boat is already out of the water for the season. Rich Stearns tried to put together a J-Jamboree in the Chicago area a couple years back but, for a weekend regatta (and probably only one J/80) it’s hard for me to justify the effort. We would consider participating in the Chicago or Detroit NOOD, if there would be at least 8-10 boats.

Our club has been trying to come up with a way to host a keelboat regatta because we have a great venue. The logistics to crane launch/haul and setup a temporary mooring field isn’t too difficult but will take some good coordination. The organizers from Leukemia Cup have started talks and we looking towards 2008 to have a possible inaugural regatta.

That brings us back to Great Lakes Fleet #8 and start generating interest in creating a circuit. Chicago, Detroit and Toronto NOOD would be a great start and we could work on adding the MYC Leukemia Cup as a fourth race. Just some food for thought…
usa706

Postby Guest » Wed Dec 20, 2006 10:18 pm

The Toronto NOOD is easy for me, because I live here and the NOOD is hosted by my club, the RCYC. I will make every effort to make any J80 sailor feel welcome and home in Toronto for this regatta. Let's go guys!

]

Next

Return to Class Association Business