Keel to Hull Joint

Maintenance Topics

Moderator: forumadmin

Postby crazy » Sun Apr 04, 2010 11:09 am

Dropped the keel due to water leaking out of the trailing edge of the sump with an empty bilge.

Once we uncovered about 5 more voids holding water we unbolted the keel onto a special stand (let me know if anyone is interested it works well). Raising the boat off the keel should go easy but the forward 3 bolds have threads thru to the keel and like to take material with them even with heat, unlike the 2 aft bolts that have a smooth shaft at the bottom of the sump. Also for those who like an egg hunt, under the resin on the forward 2 bolts were hiding another bolt and washer. After removing the material and uncovering the nuts the keel finally dropped.

I wished this information was available somewhere but just could not get hooked up with it.

BTW, inside the bottom of the sump is a balsa core about 4 -5 layers.

So now all is dry and a careful inspection will be done by 2 professionals before resetting the keel.

I posted this as an educational opportunity, if anyone has access to this type of information about the j80 pls email me thx

Crazy Ivan
USA 151
crazy

Postby crazy » Fri Jul 30, 2010 8:21 am

update: Balsa found in the sump was stray, the boat was obviously grounded and the initial repair was horrible (alot of proof). However the reattached keel is dead on and it is faster due to trueness and stiffness. The sump now has plenty of material and is once again safe. (see results Swiftsure 2010).

Crazy Ivan
crazy

Postby Guest » Tue Apr 05, 2011 1:02 pm

Anyone technical to discuss a J80 keel that flexes right at the hull?

[Posted by: Bill Hunter
]

Postby danieljcpa » Tue Apr 05, 2011 1:40 pm

danieljcpa

Postby Guest » Tue Apr 05, 2011 3:33 pm

Daniel, I have read all that, but this is different in the sense that the flex root comes from the hull not the sump or floors!

[Posted by: Bill Hunter
]

Previous

Return to Maintenance Topics