Buying early hull #

Maintenance Topics

Moderator: forumadmin

Postby nick » Sun May 27, 2007 5:38 pm

I'm looking at picking up an older J80. Is there anything about the early hulls (say #'s 1-50) that I should know about? I'm sure they must have made some changes over the years, construction technique, deck layout ect. I know most one design classes hold a bit of stigma over racing old hull numbers but I'd assume that these boats are built fairly solid. Thanks.

Regards,
Nik
nick

Postby Guest » Tue May 29, 2007 10:55 am

I owned hull 45 for a number of years. The older hulls are hand-layup rather than SCRIMP and are actually lighter than many of the newer boats. Look for wear on the rudder gudgeons and make sure the hardware is tight. Look for or install backing plates under stanchion bases and aft padeyes. Most folks have removed the "twing" hardware from the side decks. If the boat has been used in salt water, carefully inspect the standing rigging and attachment of hardware to spars for corrosion. Check forward hatch and sprit housing for cracks. Check for or install a gasket on the sprit. Traveler car is likely to need new ball bearings. Extruded channels for companionway board may need replacement. All this is fairly minor stuff is the boat is otherwise sound. Enjoy!

[Posted by: Chris Morlan
]

Postby nik » Tue May 29, 2007 9:38 pm

Have any changes been made that would effect the one design status of hull #1?
nik

Postby Guest » Wed May 30, 2007 10:04 am

Not aware of any. Will need correctors to meet minimum weight if not previously raced.

[Posted by: Chris Morlan
]

Postby Guest » Sun Aug 12, 2007 5:33 am

<a href="">accident insurance</a> <a href="">microcredit</a> <a href="">mortgage refinance closing costs</a> <a href="">loans with poor credit</a> <a href="">home loans bad credit</a>

[Posted by: wolf
]

Return to Maintenance Topics