Kevlar vs Pentex

Sails & Tuning

Moderator: forumadmin

Postby derek_jackson » Thu Apr 06, 2006 4:20 pm

anyone anyone??
derek_jackson

Postby Guest » Fri Apr 07, 2006 9:01 pm

I mainly race PHRF except for an occassional regatta. I race PHRF with Kevlar/Mylar #3 Jib and Carbon Fiber/Mylar #1 155% genoa. After using up my dacron class main, I have purchased a carbon main for this year. The head sails have been great. I use my #1 80% of the time and I get about 3 seasons of life out. My #3 would probably measure within the new class rules, but it might be cut a little flat for general usage. This sail has long real beefy battens. I expect to get years of use on this sail. This compared to the Pentax class jibs that might last a year

As far as cost, I have never paid more for these sails than the list price on class sails. I am not buyinf off-brand sails...these laminates are from two of the main J/80 class sailmakers.
TopNotch #405

[Posted by: Terry Burke
]

Postby derek_jackson » Fri Apr 21, 2006 6:01 pm

We got out for our first sail on our J/80 today. Just a light breeze maybe 7 or 8 knots. We were flying a class main and a kevlar class jib and wow.... we were reaching along 6.5 to 7.5 knots on the GPS and were able to point it up at around 5.5 knots. I was surprised how much it felt like a big boat. There was 3 of us on the boat, me being the only one who had sailed before and it was still easy to sail. Maybe next time we'll get the kite up.
DJ
derek_jackson

Return to Sails & Tuning