Sail trim ideas........

Sails & Tuning

Moderator: forumadmin

Postby derek_jackson » Fri Sep 22, 2006 7:50 pm

We were out for our usual wed night race moving along nicely and the wind died down to about 3 knots from 13-14 at the start. The end of the race was straight upwind. We were going with the usual twist is fast idea with the traveller way up and the sheet eased off to twist off the top of the main. Funny thing is, later on back at the bar a very well respected sailmaker who I trust came over to offer us some advice. (he finished far enough ahead of us that he had time to go up to the race shack on the finish line and watch most of the boats finish) He said that we gave up at least a minute and a half in the last half mile because of our mainsail trim. He suggested that because of the long top batten in the J/80 main we actually need just a little vang so that we get some leach tension and get more curve in that top batten. So here I am confused. When you guys say to twist the main are you trying to twist the top of the main back to windward slightly, or are you trying to twist it off to leward? Windward just doesn't make sense to me........ like I said I'm confused.... could someone post what backstay, vang and traveller settings they use for different conditions?
derek_jackson

Postby Guest » Sun Sep 24, 2006 6:09 am

I tend to sail like you did in light air. On the contrary my crew would like more down traveler and tighter main sheet. I have no proof of which setup is faster...
Maybe some "big guy" of J80 sailing should chime in...

[Posted by: Massimo
]

Postby thomas_arj » Sun Sep 24, 2006 8:07 am

I'm not a big guy of J80 but I get pretty nice results in light winds. In very light winds I go for no twist at all by putting the traveler in the middle, tightening up the main sheet quite hard and a loose backstay. My parameter for the amount of twist I need is always searching for some 5° of weatherhelm. Also important is to have slack in the main halyard. With increasing wind I go for increasing (leeward) twist.
It got us to second place last Saturday.
thomas_arj

Return to Sails & Tuning