Replacement Furler

Sails & Tuning

Moderator: forumadmin

Postby Guest » Wed Mar 07, 2012 2:41 pm

I need to replace my furler which was damaged last season, anyone have any experience w/ this that can lend some advice ?

Many thanks ,

[Posted by: evanwellens%40gmail.com
]

Postby danieljcpa » Wed Mar 07, 2012 3:00 pm

Check with Harkin...they have great support on line and over the phone.
danieljcpa

Postby aburton » Wed Mar 07, 2012 3:16 pm

How old is your furler? Does it have the plastic foil? If so, you may have a problem. If Harken doesn't have parts for it drop me a line, I may be able to cannibalize my old one and find the parts for you.
aburton

Postby Guest » Wed Mar 07, 2012 5:33 pm

I need to replace it and harkin doesn't sell it. Besides APS any other reccomendations ?

]

Postby danieljcpa » Wed Mar 07, 2012 5:46 pm

I would get the model number, etc. and do a search on google to find the best combination of price and availability.

Do you trailer the boat much? of course you will have to pull the mast to fix the whole thing.
danieljcpa

Postby Guest » Wed Mar 07, 2012 11:17 pm

Thx for all the advice. Seems I need to get a new stay. Ok furler is off the boat, disassembled mostly. Got the stay turnbuckle off , but the stay wont pull out, seems to be stuck at the junction of the aluminum sections. Makes no sense. The diameter fits in the channel but it wont budge any further and is swagged at both ends , so I tried to remove the set screws , impossible. Any suggestions I've been working on this thing for hours.
Sorry to bother , but I figured someone might have some expierience with this.

Thx

Evan

]

Postby Guest » Thu Mar 08, 2012 5:50 am

If your boat is more than 10 years old, suggest replacing forestay while you are at it. I replaced my old solid stay with a dyform stay, and had to cut the old stay out (leaving a trailer as I used the old foil). You need to swage the top fitting, pass new stay from top, and then fit a swageless fitting at bottom. Be precise about the stay length. Harken dealers are usually happy to supply you with a furler replacement and probably help you with the stay too.

[Posted by: Joe Camilleri
]

Postby Guest » Thu Mar 08, 2012 10:10 am

Evan, I have been through this multiple times already. I even did one on the side of the road on the way to a regatta.
I assume that you have a wire forestay. The problem you are seeing is due to the fact that the swagged stud will not fit through the pieces that connect the individual sections of furler tube. The set screws connect the "connectors" to the two sections. The "connectors" are also installed with loctite. Depending on which it is I believe that you can heat it up to release but that still will not help get the "connectors" off of the wire forestay. What I have had to do each time it cut the old forestay and have a new one made with the "connectors" installed on the wire before the final end in swagged on.
If you have any questions or just want to talk about it, email me.

angry_chameleon@yahoo.com
Good luck
Brian

[Posted by: angry_chameleonmale
]

Return to Sails & Tuning