Key West '06 - Mid Winter J80 Championship

Events & Scheduling

Moderator: forumadmin

Postby Guest » Thu Aug 18, 2005 4:48 pm

It's 95 degrees in Texas and it's time to start thinking about a mid winter vacation in Key West. The J80 Mid Winter Championship in KW is a great racing vacation. It is one of the best run regattas I have ever participated. There is no other town on the mainland like KW, the Conch Republic. Food, weather , breeze (last year 30 kts for the first two days), the tent and Mount Gay Rum is where I want to spend my vacation. The J80 one design course had 50 J 105's and also Melges 24's last year. This year let's be the largest class. I know we can do this. I have talked to several of you who have it on your calendar. Because of the competition and conditions it will be great preparation for the Worlds in '06. Uzi has asked me to collect as much as possible so I've been pooling logistical info to make your planning easier and will publish it on the Forum soon. This will be my fourteenth trip so I have seen it all and will be happy to share my experiences. Feel free to contact me.

Al Poindexter
¡ Andale ! USA 336

[Posted by: Al Poindexter
]

Postby Guest » Fri Aug 19, 2005 11:43 am

Brian and Kristen Robinson from Annapolis, MD will be there. We already have our reservation and wanted to pass the info. onto the class. We decided against a condo this year. We are staying at the Budget Key West (on the web at www.budgetkeywest.com ). This motel is located 3-4 blocks from the tent and cost $159/night for two queen beds ($129/night for 1 queen bed). There is a wetbar, microwave, fridge and coffe maker in each room.

Kristen
Angry Chameleon USA 255

[Posted by: Angry Chameleon
]

Postby Guest » Sat Aug 20, 2005 9:06 am

Hey Al-

Mike Robinson here. I'll be part of the Angry Chameleon contingent and am looking forward to the week. It's truly one of the most terrific venues for sailboat racing, a great party town, and the organizers put on a great show.

If there's any way that anyone can swing this, I promise you that you won't be sorry you made the trip.

Cheers,

MikeR

[Posted by: MikeR
]

Postby Guest » Tue Sep 06, 2005 10:25 pm

This year is no different in getting logistical information out of Key West. But the news is good. Logistical info has recently been distributed by Premiere Racing ( www.premiere-racing.com ) [781-639-9545]. Their website has helpful information about housing and also marinas. Applications for marinas are available for PDF download. I have made calls to several marinas in the Seaport area and it seems slips can only be obtained at this point through Premiere Racing at $2/ft for rafting and 2.50/ft for a slip. A word of caution if you stay in the Navy Basin particularly in a frontal passage, several large fenders and good docklines are a necessity. I talked to Ship Mates Logistics ( www.shipmatesllc.com ) [877 581-2985] who will assist in launching, stepping your mast, unstepping it and hauling your boat and also storing your trailer for $785. These services will be provided by reservation on their website. Safe Harbor Marina ( www.safeharbourmarina.com ) [(305) 294-9797] on Stock Island has offered launch, step, unstep, haul and also berth for $600. If you choose to not stay at Safe Harbor then your charge is $500. This does include your trailer. Safe Harbor has limited space for dockage available on a 1st come basis. Reservations require a $300 deposit. There is an effort being made to arrange a space to keep J80’s together who want to stay in the Seaport area. We will have to stay tuned to see if this happens.

I have already had several discussions with some of this year’s participants so it looks like there will be a great turnout for this Midwinter Championship.

]

Postby Guest » Sun Sep 11, 2005 9:06 pm

Hyperdrive will be there

[Posted by: Matt Baker
]

Postby Guest » Tue Oct 04, 2005 9:50 am

Can we get the Conch Reuplic slips again? Those were very easy and kept everyone close to the happenings.

[Posted by: Steve LeMay
]

Postby Guest » Fri Nov 04, 2005 1:19 pm

I wanted to foward some information I just received from Premeire regarding the mobile marina being set up at the Truman Annex Navy Basin. They are providing a range of services to haul/launch/step masts/trailer storage. All the prices and service reservation are on their website www.mobile-marinas.com . Boats will be hauled in order of reservations received. In addition Conch Republic will begin taking reservations 60 days before Key West begins.

[Posted by: Angry Chameleon
]

Postby Guest » Thu Nov 10, 2005 11:01 pm

J80 Kidzpace - first time Key West Race Week participants. We are looking for docking recommendations. Are the J80's going to stay together? How do we contact / reserve the Conch Republic docks?

[Posted by: Brian Cann
]

Postby Guest » Fri Nov 11, 2005 12:48 pm

Brian, If you look at Dr Al Poindexter`s posting you may find that safe harbour is the best deal for our class,Therefor we are trying to get evrybody there, They can accomodate up to 15 J80`S , I have alredy made reservation for my boat there.it is a very charming place and last I heard they made it even better.

[Posted by: Uzi
]

Postby Guest » Sun Nov 13, 2005 9:55 pm

Winter is almost here and fall sailing is slowing down. How can you tell—the entries are increasing for KWRW. There are lots of you waiting to enter but are waiting to see who enters. There is also the team that would rather draw interest on their money than let Premiere Racing do it. So let’s do this. Who out there is not among the nine not already entered and are 100% sure they will go, 70% sure and 50% or need a little shove. This year let’s get at least 35 boats.
Al
Andale #336

]

Postby Guest » Mon Nov 14, 2005 7:34 am

Infinity will be there.

[Posted by: uzi ozeri
]

Postby Guest » Mon Nov 14, 2005 12:06 pm

Le Glide is going. We are staying at the Gallion marina only because we had reservations long ago for a bigger boat. Lets have a J80 party somewhere Sunday night. Conch republic??

[Posted by: Steve LeMay
]

Postby dan_jwa » Mon Nov 14, 2005 3:22 pm

Jworld Annapolis will again be bringing four boats down. We have 2 boats under charter, a JWorld racing team boat, and a fourth boat that will be going either as a charter boat or another JWorld race team boat.

We have interest from another party in chartering a boat. However, we only have four trailers. Is there anyone who is interested in chartering their boat out? We will be in Key West and could help with set up/tear down.
dan_jwa

Postby Guest » Tue Nov 15, 2005 12:23 am

I just spoke to Jay Lutz on his way to race the Lightening worlds and he said he will be there. Looks like 20 for sure and I still think we can make 35. I have been calling around to get more info to post for a social and seminar schedule. I will post more over the next couple of weeks.

Al

]

Postby Guest » Wed Nov 16, 2005 11:26 pm

Just talked to KW. Apparently KW sustained significant damage from the three storms of the season, particularly Wilma. The good news is they are recovering and more importantly will not affect KWRW. The phone service has been poor and many have not been at work. However don't let the lack of communication deter your efforts to make logistical arrangements

]

Next

Return to Events & Scheduling